I want to animate the scale of a Niagra System

I want to animate the Torus so that it starts at Zero scale and then expands to full size when the shaft of light comes down. I thought that animated the scale on the shape location would do the trick. A set scale to Lerp Vector and experimented with adjusting the alpha. The worked nicely. But when I converted the alpha to a Float from Curve, there is no animation. It’s either full size or tiny. I tried to animate the scale with a curve a on a few other variables but always with the same result. Why isn’t it working? Is there an obvious way to achieve this effect?

Your shape location is in particle spawn, so it only affects the position of newly spawned particles. Try to move it to particle update instead or add an outwards force after spawning your particles.

Yeah, that is a poor placement for the shape location. Putting it in the Update, however, makes the torus spread individual particles so it looks like an expanding disc of thinly spread particles, whereas I am going for an expanding ring. I keep playing with the curves but not seeming to get it. Also, how could I make an outward force? There is no force with that name.

Hi, I know this post was over a year ago but I was wondering if you ever managed to solve the issue. I came across this topic when I ran into a similar problem while learning Niagara and tried to look for a solution. Any help would be appreciated!

I’m not sure if you’re still looking for an answer here but I’d make the mesh at full scale in the modeling tools, then figure out how many sprites at what size you’ll need to get the intended result, then use the Align Sprite to Mesh Orientation Node.

Also it’s important to note that what he said above about it needing to be in the particle update section is important. Certain options are only going to show up if they’re available and they can require you already have the nodes and be in the right section.

Whenever in doubt you can always check this guys YT he has videos explaining everything: