I want Player to Trigger a game over when sound of character reaches a certain threshold

So have a weird question, At least it might come off worded weird so please bear with me.

Have a scene where I would like to have the player creep behind a wall to avoid an enemy. While they move they “build up” noise, And the player has to stop every so often for the noise to die off, in order to continue. But I want the player’s speed to create noise, and if it hits a certain limit, triggers game over.

Now the weird part, I don’t want to include any AI enemy logic in this (I have some in the BG of the scene, but they are just animated mannys.) I want it completely in the player’s hands. I would like some guidance on how best to approach this problem. Or at least some keywords on where to start looking would also be great.

I did find a forum pose from 2020 that maybe has the beginnings of a solution, but it’s referencing an older engine so maybe there is a better way. Detecting audio levels to trigger effects

I have gone through some tutorials with AI sensing in a stealth game system context, but I don’t know if this is something I can do outside of that. Or maybe in some way this is just another version of that.