I Need Some Help With A Workaround Please!

Hello everyone!

I’m currently working on a sci-fi survival horror VR game and was originally planning on using the awesome Dungeon Architect to procedurally generate the levels in the game at runtime. Unfortunately this isn’t going to be an option because you need to Build the lighting after Dungeon Architect has created the level and that’s probably going to represent as a slideshow and cause players to throw up violently lol :eek::stuck_out_tongue:

So my original plan was to give this game some replayability with a different level each time someone plays it so I need some sort of workaround. I was thinking of pre-building say 10 different versions of each level and randomly selecting one each time but I’m open to other possibly better ideas of anyone can think of any!

Many thanks in advance for any help! :slight_smile:

Could you just get rid of static lighting and give you character a flashlight. I could be wrong but I don’t think you have to rebuild dynamic lights.

I’m planning on having a flashlight on the player’s head but if I don’t have static lights wouldn’t that mean that I wouldn’t be able to have any lights apart from the flashlight in the game? I’m a bit new to all this stuff so not entirely sure how this stuff works. I’m planning on having lights in the corridors and rooms that are working, lights that are blinking and lights that are out completely as well as the flashlight on the player’s head so I’m pretty sure that I’ll need to pre-bake these things. Unless I’ve misunderstood things?

My thought was that you might not need static lights and could get away with just dynamic lighting. sure there is a performance cost, but it’s manageable.

stationary lighting may also work without baking but I’m not sure.

btw, if you run a search for ‘procedural lighting in ue4’ you’ll find quite a bit.