i like to use 4k-textures in my game

hi!

i like tu use 4k (4096x4096)-textures in my game for the most important meshes.

for keeping an good performance in ue i would like try to use substances with an 4k-resolution.
but i saw, that substances are only supporting 2k (2048x2048) textures…
so i guess it´s not possible to work with substances in 4k-tex-mode?

is there an other way in ue, to bring my 4k-textures into my game on base of the ue-materials
with an good performance??

thanks a lot for an answer :slight_smile:

greetz

Hi

For now the substance engine provided with UE4 only supports 2k textures as you’ve noticed. We do plan to support GPU engines in UE4 so that way you can work with 4k textures. One technique you can use for now is to export the 4k maps from substance designer and bring them into UE4 that way.

You probably don’t need to use 4k textures. Remember there’s ways to tile textures and get more detail in certain cases. And if needed you can split objects into pieces to use more textures.

hi ,

thanks a lot for your answer!

i got the indie pack, so i will try the 4k-way with the substance designer and
import the substance as full 4k into ue4.

(by the way: an real good feature would be for me,when the allegoritmic-plugin for ue could offer an “uv-tiling-option”. that would be great!).

have a nice weekend!

greetz

hi darthviper,

thanks a lot for your answer!

i got a lot of buildings and i´m looking forward to simplify my texturework.
your idea is real good with splitting the meshes into 2k-textures. but after all i got a lot of “buildingpart-textures” and the handling/overview is not so good for me.
i tried to make buildings modular (1 high-res-etage and duplicate it), but it doesn´t fit my needs completely.

i´m looking forward, that allegorithmic will release the complete 4k-ue-support.

have a nice weekend!

greetz

For buildings there’s lots of materials that can use tiled textures, so you can use something like a 512 resolution texture that will look good when tiled. The main deal is adding unique details on top of that for things like weathering, there’s stuff like decals and vertex painting that can be used for that.

hi darthviper107,

thanks for this new sight on building weathered, complex buildings!

(i´m coming from maya and zbrush and i´m an real noob in ue4).

this community is very helpfull to me :slight_smile:

greetz

Please go to
mavang2.tripod.com/square/index_english.html

hi zyeks,

thanks for the philosophical aspect :wink:

greetz