I can't pick up a gun with a skeletal mesh and animations in vr

So I’m using the basic VR template and I want to be able to pick up a gun skeletal mesh that I bought online and then rigged and animated in blender. I want it to have physics so it can fall when you drop it and stuff but I have a situation where the entire gun just falls to pieces yet stays together…if that makes sense. I know its because of the physics of the gun but I don’t really know how to make the gun fall, but also stay together. I also need help with having a magazine be a separate actor with an ammo counter inside of it so that when it parents to the gun when its close enough to the handle which is empty then it can go inside of the gun making it ready to shoot. I’m new to blueprints and unreal engine and blender too. In fact I’m new to this whole thing. So if you guys have any ideas that would be great!

Oh I forgot to say how I copied the code from the pickup cube blueprint that is in the template, used a youtube video from VR_Marco to make it snap but It doesn’t seem to want to be grabbed. I also don’t really know how to add the collisions to it because its not a static mesh its a skeletal mesh. Also would it be better to spawn a projectile when shot or to do a line trace? And how exactly do you make a gun flare. I have a lot of questions lol sorry to be such a handful but I’m super into VR and Unreal Engine Developing and its super fun but I’m new to everything.

1 Like

I think this is the unreal post you’re looking for. I’m having the same issue and I haven’t gotten a chance to try it out for myself but here you go.