I can't package the C++ blank project with Error game target not found

Hello ! I’m getting blocked by a problem actually. I get the error “Game target not found” when I try to package the blank project in C++. Can someone tell me what is the problem ? What I have to add or modify ?
I tried to create a map and add a gamemode but it doesn’t change anything.
I tried to package the third person C++ game and it works so … I guess it’s not something missing on my computer.
Can you help me ?
Thank you !

Hi @Astadion! Welcome to the Forums!

It’s a bit difficult to tell exactly what’s going on from what you have provided so far. Would you mind sharing your error logs so we can get a better understanding of the issue you are facing?

Any additional information you can provide will be a big help in solving your problem!

Hi @Quetzalcodename,

Thank you, I will try to give as much details as I can.

I started with the Thrid person blueprint project and modified it to make a pong. The packaging tool was good at this point. After that, I wanted to add the marketplace plugin “VaRest” to be able to store some records on a database. The packaging was good but when I was lauching the game, there was a popup with “VaRest plugin is missing”.
I saw on the internet that I had to make a C++ project to get external plugins. I created a new C++ class to convert my project. But now I get one error when I try to pack the game.

This is the error in the log window :
ATHelper: Packaging (Windows): ********** COOK COMMAND COMPLETED **********
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): ********** STAGE COMMAND STARTED **********
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): ERROR: Stage Failed. Missing receipt ‘C:\Users\kevin\Documents\Unreal Projects\Pong_Windows\Binaries\Win64\Pong_WindowsTargetGame.target’. Check that this target has been built.
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): (see C:\Users\kevin\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\AutomationTool\Logs\D+UE_5.0\Log.txt for full exception trace)
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): AutomationTool executed for 0h 0m 48s
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=103 (Error_MissingExecutable)
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): BUILD FAILED
PackagingResults: Error: Missing UnrealGame binary.You may have to build the UE project with your IDE. Alternatively, build using UnrealBuildTool with the commandline:UnrealGame
LogDerivedDataCache: C:/Users/kevin/AppData/Local/UnrealEngine/Common/DerivedDataCache: Maintenance finished in +00:00:00.270 and deleted 0 file(s) with total size 0 MiB.
LogSlate: Window ‘Message’ being destroyed
Message dialog closed, result: Ok, title: Message, text: Missing UnrealGame binary.
You may have to build the UE project with your IDE. Alternatively, build using UnrealBuildTool with the commandline:
UnrealGame
LogAutomationController: Ignoring very large delta of 68.13 seconds in calls to FAutomationControllerManager::Tick() and not penalizing unresponsive tests

And this is the error in the log file :
********** STAGE COMMAND STARTED **********

ERROR: Stage Failed. Missing receipt ‘C:\Users\kevin\Documents\Unreal Projects\Pong_Windows\Binaries\Win64\Pong_WindowsTargetGame.target’. Check that this target has been built.
(see C:\Users\kevin\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\AutomationTool\Logs\D+UE_5.0\Log.txt for full exception trace)

AutomationException: Stage Failed. Missing receipt ‘C:\Users\kevin\Documents\Unreal Projects\Pong_Windows\Binaries\Win64\Pong_WindowsTargetGame.target’. Check that this target has been built.
at AutomationScripts.Project.CreateDeploymentContext(ProjectParams Params, Boolean InDedicatedServer, Boolean DoCleanStage) in D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\Scripts\CopyBuildToStagingDirectory.Automation.cs:line 4506
at AutomationScripts.Project.CopyBuildToStagingDirectory(ProjectParams Params) in D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\Scripts\CopyBuildToStagingDirectory.Automation.cs:line 4567
at BuildCookRun.DoBuildCookRun(ProjectParams Params) in D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\Scripts\BuildCookRun.Automation.cs:line 207
at BuildCookRun.ExecuteBuild() in D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\Scripts\BuildCookRun.Automation.cs:line 41
at AutomationTool.BuildCommand.Execute() in D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\AutomationUtils\BuildCommand.cs:line 344
at AutomationTool.Automation.Execute(List1 CommandsToExecute, Dictionary2 Commands) in D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\AutomationUtils\Automation.cs:line 254
at AutomationTool.Automation.Process(ParsedCommandLine AutomationToolCommandLine, StartupTraceListener StartupListener, HashSet`1 ScriptModuleAssemblies) in D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\AutomationUtils\Automation.cs:line 153

AutomationTool executed for 0h 0m 48s
AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=103 (Error_MissingExecutable)

I tried to create a new blank C++ project and I got the same error.

I tried to create the third person C++ project and I didn’t get any error. The exe was fine …

I tried some other things but nothing works … Ofc I have build, rebuild, clean-build all the project many times with visual studio community 22, tried debugGame, development Game, shipping game …
You have an idea ?

Thank you!

Hey @Astadion!

What version of UE5 are you currently using? Also, have you tried using Visual Studio 2019 and/or reinstalling/repairing Visual Studio?

Since this error happened immediately after adding a plugin, the plugin may be looking for something that is missing or not set up yet. Plugins purchased on the marketplace should work even without C++ and you can create C++ in a blueprint project so that should not (in theory) be an issue (especially since VaRest only provides blueprints). Because of this, I would check and see if that plugin needs an update and is installed correctly.

You can find more information in this previous thread:

ERROR: Stage Failed. Missing receipt. Check that this target has been built

As an added note, the following error indicates you should try and build your project from visual studio.

If all else fails I would definitely reach out to the developer of the plugin for help.

I hope one of the above solutions works for you!

Hello @Quetzalcodename,

I’m trying to use the last version of UE : 5.0.2.
My visual Studio is freshly installed so I’m not sure it’s a problem of VS.

The error “Game target not found” happened after creating a C++ class to convert my blueprint project to a C++ project.

The last thing I do for now is that :
https://unrealxeditor.wordpress.com/2016/04/15/ever-wondered-if-you-can-convert-c-project-to-blueprint-only-project/

Now the game is packaging well but I get this error when I launch the game :

Do I need to create another topic ?

Hey @Astadion!

So the core issue here is definitely the plugin. From here I would try reinstalling your plugin or contacting the developer.

Here is another possible fix that may work, which is similar but may not be the same as what you have done:

I hope the above solution works for you.