I can't install Unreal Datasmith exporter for 3ds MAX 4.26

When I install Unreal Datasmith exporter for 3ds MAX 4.26, I have an error message “The older version of unreal Datasmith Exporter for 3ds Max cannot be removed”

The solution I have tried:
1, I have deleted all the Datasmith exporter in Apps.
2, I have deleted and reinstall 3ds MAX, and delete all folders related to MAX.
3, I have deleted everything that contains "Unreal Datasmith exporter " in Registry Editor.
4, I have searched and deleted everything with "Unreal Datasmith exporter " on my computer.

But the issue is still there. what should I do if I don’t want to reinstall my computer system (windows 10 64 bit.).

Please help, Thank you all.

I have the same exact problem, it is really really frustrating and time-consuming. Did you find a way around it?

It’s probably in the Plugins folder in your 3ds Max installation directory, take a look there and see if you can find it and just delete it that way

I have been trying to solve this problem for half a year now. But I never found a solution. I think I need to reinstall the system.

Hello I have tried to install it in 3d max 2021 and it is impossible. help.

Did you try to redownload the msi?
Have you tried to remove the existing exporter plugin first?

Alternatively can you run in command line msiexec /i “UnrealDatasmithMaxExporter_4_26_2.msi” /l*vx install.log and share the install.log with us.

Bests,
Flavien.

I have the same problem. I run the command line and a pop window appears with the text: "This installation package cannot be opened. Check that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.

Hello GuiLToma,

Obvious question but do you have the msi file in the path you are running this command? Could there be a mistake in the spelling of the file name? The error message implies that it did not find the msi.

Did you try to just plainly run the msi first? I recommended to run from command line as a mean to get the install.log file and more details on while the installation was failing.

Similar issue here. I have downloaded the “UnrealDatasmithMaxExporter_4_26_2.msi” multiple times now. I am not running it through the command line but when double clicking this file it runs through the initial process (user agreement, select your version of max, do you want 62ab3bb5.msi to make changes). Then it is looking for “UnrealDatasmithMaxExporter.msi”. Instillation stops at this point.
Not sure if that is a file the msi creates or what. I don’t recall having this issue with a previous install on another machine. Any positive direction is appreciated.

I am having terrible time trying to install Datsmith or uninstall a previous version of Datasmith. Either attempt gives me the same response. I’ve attached a screenshot here. I’ve also already ran the installer via command line with logging and can get that to you . The previous version was installed on Max 2020 I am currently using Max2021 and trying to install Datasmith to it. It has never had it installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hello khitsk21267,

Yes providing log could be useful. The message shows that the installer is looking for a 4.24 version of the plugin installer. The only reason would be that it needs it to uninstall that version prior to install the 4.26.2.
I will check with the team if that is the expected behaviour.

Did you try to uninstall the datasmith plugin from windows> Add or Remove programs?

Bests,
Flavien.

I’m getting the same issues with the Datasmith exporter plugin for 3ds Max. I’m using UE 4.26.2 and downloaded the 3dsMax exporter plug-in for 4.26. I double-checked the instructions provided for installing the exporter and received the exact message that khitsk21267 posted. Just to confirm, I went through the windows apps and features to delete any previous versions of Datasmith before I started the download. I have deleted and re-downloaded the file more than once to make sure something didn’t get lost in translation. Still , no results.
I realize I’m not a developer, but I have unpacked the .msi file through another application and see no executable file to make this .msi file go. There is a setup file, text only, that mentions constant runtime errors. So, I defer to you to help me on this.
I appreciate your prompt response. I’m not Disney, but I have a project I’m working on that is important and need no lags in time.
Thanks very much in advance.

1 Like

Hi guys! I had the same problem, but I think I found a solution.
Download the installer and open it in any archiver, I used 7zip
Unzip its contents to any folder, and find "“DesignDatasmithMax2022. dle” in this folder (for your version of Max), copy them to the Plugins directory from 3ds max.
Then copy “UnrealStudio_Data switch_Attribute_Holder_ModifierDesign2022.ms” to the Scripts\startup directory.
It worked for me)

2 Likes

Can you generate and share a log file by running the msi from the command line with
msiexec /i “UnrealDatasmithMaxExporter_4_26_2.msi” /l*vx install.log ?

Windows ® Installer. V 5.0.19041.1

msiexec /Option [Optional Parameter]

Install Options
</package | /i> <Product.msi>
Installs or configures a product
/a <Product.msi>
Administrative install - Installs a product on the network
/j<u|m> <Product.msi> [/t ] [/g ]
Advertises a product - m to all users, u to current user
</uninstall | /x> <Product.msi | ProductCode>
Uninstalls the product
Display Options
/quiet
Quiet mode, no user interaction
/passive
Unattended mode - progress bar only
/q[n|b|r|f]
Sets user interface level
n - No UI
b - Basic UI
r - Reduced UI
f - Full UI (default)
/help
Help information
Restart Options
/norestart
Do not restart after the installation is complete
/promptrestart
Prompts the user for restart if necessary
/forcerestart
Always restart the computer after installation
Logging Options
/l[i|w|e|a|r|u|c|m|o|p|v|x|+|!|*]
i - Status messages
w - Nonfatal warnings
e - All error messages
a - Start up of actions
r - Action-specific records
u - User requests
c - Initial UI parameters
m - Out-of-memory or fatal exit information
o - Out-of-disk-space messages
p - Terminal properties
v - Verbose output
x - Extra debugging information
+ - Append to existing log file
! - Flush each line to the log
* - Log all information, except for v and x options
/log
Equivalent of /l*
Update Options
/update <Update1.msp>[;Update2.msp]
Applies update(s)
/uninstall [;Update2.msp] /package <Product.msi | ProductCode>
Remove update(s) for a product
Repair Options
/f[p|e|c|m|s|o|d|a|u|v] <Product.msi | ProductCode>
Repairs a product
p - only if file is missing
o - if file is missing or an older version is installed (default)
e - if file is missing or an equal or older version is installed
d - if file is missing or a different version is installed
c - if file is missing or checksum does not match the calculated value
a - forces all files to be reinstalled
u - all required user-specific registry entries (default)
m - all required computer-specific registry entries (default)
s - all existing shortcuts (default)
v - runs from source and recaches local package
Setting Public Properties
[PROPERTY=PropertyValue]

Consult the Windows ® Installer SDK for additional documentation on the
command line syntax.

Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Portions of this software are based in part on the work of the Independent JPEG Group.

Chase - You.are.AWESOME! Thank you so much for sharing this. It is the only thing that has worked for me and I appreciate your posting tremendously. I have been trying to figure this out for 2 weeks.

1 Like

Hello ZoomZim,
If you found a solution with Chase answer that is good to me.
Else regarding your message: in your sample it is just the command line giving you the options for the msiexec command.

You might have done something wrong when typing the command. Make sure you use the correct msi file name and even its full path if it is in another folder.
The expected behaviour is to have the installer start and run as usual but to get an extra file “install.log” in the folder where you run the installer. That is the file I would like you to share with us.

If the installer does not start or the file is not generated then something is wrong with the command line.

Great Works for me to!

Thanks

TAGS FOR GOOGLE CAN FIND THIS DORUM

3ds max 2022 dosent detect

Good day/ I have the same problem. Do any have solusion for this problem. I think the problem is in deleting older version or 3dsmax. I even checked all register for datasmith but nothing. Help please.

I had a similar problem, but the message that appeared was “specified account already exists”
I had Datasmith version 4.23 and wanted to install 4.27
The solution was to download the 4.23 installer and right mouse button - Uninstall.
After that the installation of 4.27 was perfect.

Hope this can help someone in the future!