I am new to Unreal Engine and I have a few questions

Hello!
I am wondering if I should start trying to make a little game right away or just continue my C++ books? I am currently studying

Programming Principles and Practice using C++

Did you read this book? If so, did it help you in Unreal & Game development? If not, can you recommend something else? If it did, what did you read next?

I am not a total noob but not far away either.

What recommendations do you have for a beginner like me?

Thanks and I am pretty sure trial and error method doesn’t work without somewhat knowledge before but maybe someone here succeded like that and can share his story!

I am going to summarize an answer as briefly as possible: The only way to learn to program is by programming. What happens with tools like UnrealEngine is that you have to learn many things, this because the development team behind this powerful engine is dozens and dozens of people, each one specialized in something.
But in the process first, have to find them making learning prototypes, knowing the tools and therefore expanding your knowledge.

There is a very good ressource for learning in training video from udemy : Unreal engine C++ the ultimate game developer course

Hope that help you :slight_smile:

Well, Unreal c++ is quite different from the regular c++, mostly because unreal operates with their own macros and libraries. You won’t read about Ufunctions or TArray in a regular c++ book. But if you are not a programmer - then starting from a normal c++ is definitely a good thing for a solid background.

@JJtyan,
If you were to be a beginner in UE again, where would you start?

would start by making a learning video game, but rather to deepen in all the possible existing tools in the engine. What happens is that nowadays, making a single person a game is almost an odyssey, it’s not like when they created pacman, a single man making the design on a napkin and that’s it.

Nowadays, UE4 gives you a broader approach, animator, level designer, material creator, blueprints programmer, or c++, UI system creator, particle creator, advanced locomotion effects, etc etc etc. Now, the fundamental idea is that you start as soon as possible with UE4 with prototypes, where you will see where you get stuck and with time and perseverance you will improve.

If you know the very basics of programming like how to use variables, arrays, flow control, etc, I’d suggest starting work on very small projects, while also spending some time daily to continue your current learning process.

This way, as you work on projects, you get a chance to use the knowledge that you’ve acquired to create something and also search and learn about new things as you figure out how to solve problems yourself. At the same time, your books can help you understand about more advanced concepts that can then be applied into future projects.

wait for a Udemy sale and then buy it for 12 bucks or so. Also that video make sure you play it on double speed, otherwise you fall asleep :rofl:
Personally I find courses/articles by Tom Looman more helpful than the above.