Huge UE5 framerate issue with multiple undocked windows

Chatting with another user on reddit, I discovered this strange bug that was making UE5 not usable for me.
I have a 5950x and a 3080ti so it sounded kinda strange to me to see it work so bad, it was laggy even renaming folders and dragging nodes in blueprints…

We discovered that the fps number of the editor is exactly the starting number divided by the number of windows not docked to the editor, for example if you start with 60fps and open a window you’ll get 30 fps, then 20, then 15 (and this is where it starts to lag horrendously).

I have a triple monitor config and I’ve always used UE this way, I don’t have this problem with 4.27.2 and this is really a deal breaker thing for me.

One thing to point out is that this happens even if you open the color picker, you’ll notice the fps drop in the preview.

Should I open a bug report?

Here’s an example of what I’m saying, it happens also with newly created projects (and you notice it even more because the starting fps number is 30):

Click to view screenshots

Only main window:

One undocked window:

Two undocked windows:

Three windows opened:

Hey, did you find any solution? Same issue here, i just open 1 undocked windows and my UE goes from 60fps to 10~ :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

The solution I found is “reinstalling the nvidia drivers”, I don’t really understand what’s causing this but as soon as I reinstall them I go back to the regular 120 fps in the editor…

This is still happening, periodically, both on my desktop PC and Laptop and it’s really annoying, the main suspects are Windows update and Unreal itself but it’s really hard to tell (this happens both in 4.27 and 5.1)

Driver reinstall doesn’t help me with this issue, have you found anything else?

@Ares9323 @RTELOS @Reiko
I also experienced issues with FPS drops from 60 to around 15 when open multiple undocked windows. The problem turned out to be Nvidia G-Sync. Disabling the “Enable settings for the selected display model” option in (NVIDIA Control Panel → Display → Set up G-SYNC) resolved the issue.
nvcplui_k0hARgUq34

If this doesn’t work for you, try completely disabling G-Sync by unchecking the “Enable G-SYNC, G-SYNC Compatible” option.

Don’t forget to click Apply in the bottom right corner.

1 Like