How would I create translucent skin shader with seperate normals underneath for internal structures?

I am working on an alien that has glossy translucent skin but I need to be able to have blended normal maps under the surface so that I can show the muscle movement and the vascular system. What is the best way to attack the skin shader for this?

I was thinking the dual normal clearcoat might be a starting point, but that doesn’t have sss nor does it allow me to create a texture for the skin layer.

Any thoughts?

-Hawke

tagging so i can get back to you with a real answer, but i achieved something like what you mentioned with normals for skin with panning over sub surface bones. All I can think of right now is to just add the two normals together, and treat the add node as the output (no extra nodes after add and just run to output from there). I really need to check again about the translucency

Thanks. I look forward to hearing back from you.

That sounds insanely hard but bump offset might be a good starting point if you want to go with a low cost method

I was thinking about bump offset. Also looking at parallax occlusion and layered materials. Still doing R&D but it looks like it stumped not only me but the forums as well. =)