How well Nanite performs on the player’s PC?

Hi!
So, I’ve been wondering how Nanite works on packaged projects.
The main question is how well Nanite performs on the player’s PC.

Is it a requirement for the players to purchase a high-end PC setup to run the game built with Nanite? Or the engine will bake all the Nanite assets upon packaging so it will run smoothly in the player’s PC regardless of the high-end spec?

Thank you.

1 Like

I’d be interesting to hear what people have to say about this.

If you want to have a lot of coverage, you need to be able to sell to people with typical hardware configurations. A 20 or 30 series Nvidia card is not typical.

The most common gamer card is still apparently the 10 series ( 1040, 1060 etc ).

From my tests, although Nanite is getting better, it’s still faster to use low poly models and LODs. Rather than plaster the landscape with hundreds of zillion poly Nanite assets.

And low poly is still going to work on the 900s and other older cards.

Totally agree with this. Can I assume that Nanite will require a high-end PC? I have not experimented with this myself as I don’t have the minimum spec to run Nanite for the development. But I can see from your experiments, it doesn’t work well.

Hmmm. The hardest part is Directx 12, which I could say is only exist in high-end PC :expressionless:

I have a five-year-old PC and a 1660. DX12 is fine, if you don’t use too many large textures or heavy shaders. Once you know what to avoid, it’s just like a slightly slow ue4.

Also with Lumen and RVT on.

As far as dev work goes, yes a 30 series with 24GB VRAM would be lovely, but then I’d never know about any problems. So I’m prepared to put up with a bit of inconvenience, to know immediately when there’s a problem.

That’s another thing with Nanite, if the system has to fall back, because of DX11, you will need to have designed for that, and have decent fallback meshes and LODs.

At the moment, for me and the players I’m developing for, I think a fractal density map is out of the question. At least until 30 series cards trickle down a become the norm. In any event, Nanite won’t make a bad game good :slight_smile: It’s just something to know about for when the time comes.

I know Epic have demonstrated all this new tech on a Playstation, but they also ran the city demo on there. And that runs like a dog with a wooden leg on everything except a hydrogen cooled Cray. Just sayin’…

1 Like

Hahaha. I know right…

Considering I’m not in a well-known country which makes the currency (phew) very expensive let alone buying high spec PC. But for the most part, even 1660 is like spending 4 months of full saving salary. If you have those you will be treated like a king. :sunglasses:

I agree that “Nanite won’t make a bad game good” but it helps to eliminate the limited number of meshes per level. Culling looks weird with an open level where the distant tree suddenly appears as we walk towards it. So, yeah I think Nanite solves this issue but we will need an expensive setup as well as the players.
From the statistical review we both know, players with high-end PC are like 1 in 40 people. Taking the risk of using Nanite I think is out of the question.

1 Like