How to zoom in closer in Static Mesh window without clipping?

UE4.27
I open a Mesh in its window. When I barely zoom in, it cuts off like 100 units before I touch the mesh (clips = surface goes invisible). Yet in the Editor window, I can zoom in very close, ~10 units, without clipping.

What setting in the Mesh preview window do I change to fix this? (to be more like Blender, where I can zoom in very close to see the detail of the texture applied)
Please show a pic of the Tab/Setting (a Market asset overwrote my Preview settings/lighting). Ty

Hello NotAGamer,

The Editor setting you’re looking for is Project Settings → Near Clip Plane

BUT - Instead of changing that you’d be better off zooming by holding down the RightMouseButton and pressing ‘C’ (and ‘Z’ for zoom out)

Hope that helps!

5 Likes

Thanks for those 2 options. I googled before, but setting Near Clip Plane to 0 or -100 or anything, changes nothing (was 10)???

And

That works great. But how to keep it zoomed in? (Thats what I need to keep the window zoomed while working on a Material on the other monitor.)
When I release the Mouse, it auto returns.

Update, I imported a different version of a FBX character (scale was set to 12). In this new version, I can hold L or R Mouse and W, and it zooms in very close.

But with the old FBX it cant do this (zoom), it clips 200 units away. What could cause this? Is it possible for a FBX file to get bugged in the Editor?

You’re welcome.

I think you may need to restart the editor after changing near-clip plane. (After doing this, is it still broken in both viewport and StaticMesh Viewer?)

As for keeping the zoom level, click on the 3 horizontal bars in the upper left of the viewport (both SM Viewer and Main Viewport have this) and change the FOV manually.

If your FBX is bigger (Check “Approx Size:” in SM viewer) then I’d expect you’ll have an easier time getting closer.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info and helping. So I set this Near Clip to 0 yesterday (to test), and you were correct. It did not affect until restart. So I was surprised today when 99% of my meshes turned invisible.
You did suggest not to change that lol. Now I know why. But dont know why Epic lets us change it to 0? Or a tool tip warning of what it does?

I found it. For me (UE4.27), its a Down arrow icon.
View icon settings

FOV is the term I was thinking of. I changed it to 20 and it does work to zoom better before clipping (and 5 = ultra zoom on the texture detail). But moving around is too sensitive. (So a trade off.) But I believe that is the setting I need to work with. Ty.

(I think the ultimate problem is my 1st mesh (the one I cant zoom in on easy), was imported at 0.1. Thus I scaled it up 12x in the Editor Main window. But in Static mesh window, the small size makes it act weird.)

One more thing. Where is this setting: Check “Approx Size:”?
And to clarify, this is a Skeletal mesh. Idk if SM and SK windows have different settings available?

Glad to hear you got it sorted, I checked and Approx Size is listed in the upper left of skeletal mesh viewer too.

That’s from 4.26, I cant find a way to toggle it on/off in either viewer! (so I suspect it is hiding behind the drop down in your second screenshot :slight_smile: ) Cheers.

Hey guys, so, since I’ve found the SUPREME solution, I wanted to add my input on this, finally!

Just click on the static mesh, then press alt + middle mouse botton + left click and move your mouse in or out. There there! It keeps the zoom after. :nerd_face:

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: That seems like how it works with Material preview window, the Mat stays centered and I can zoom in out.
(My middle mouse doesnt work (scroll wheel, they disabled middle). A new one is coming so ill try what you said. Or do you know an alt command for Middle mouse press?)

Also FYI: zoom in general in the Main Editor window (not mesh window), we can use scroll wheel to zoom in/out.

If someone need it, this zoom limit is defined in the editor settings as “Minimum Orthographic Zoom”. The lower it is, the closer you can zoom. I don’t why it’s not set to the lowest value like in every 3D editor.

1 Like