how to widen the screen/camera area for reflections?, explanatory images inside.

Hi,
I have this problem, reflections disappear when moving camera. The first image shows when is ok, the source is visible, then in the second the source is not visible (due camera turn) and reflection is gone. I know/suppose that this is made for optimization but it’s an immersion breaker. How can I configure the boundaries of this system so the reflection stays there when the source is not visible (due to camera movement)?? thanks.

Edit: when I say “source” I’m referring to the upper part of the wall that is receiving light.

Unfortunately this is a side effect of the way the SSR are done in the engine- they take what is visible to the camera, and draw reflections, but anything that isn’t visible by the camera, isn’t drawn. If the camera is pointed centre and the floor area isn’t too wide, the results are usually perfect, but any kind of wide area or looking too far up/down/left/right will cause the borders to appear and can definitely mess with the immersion. I would love for there to be an option to maybe draw the reflections from a point behind the player, or at a different FOV to that of the main player camera- not sure how plausible these ideas could be, especially with regards to quality and performance, but it’s definitely something that has always bugged me slightly, and has made me change the way I design scenes, to ensure it is difficult for the player to produce the borders. However also keep in mind that most players won’t see these borders, and it’s easy to notice them when you are the one designing! Also would be cool if there was an option to extend the fade distance of the borders- I think partly what causes the break in immersion is the obvious grainy line/area that separates the reflection from the non reflected area.

:frowning: thanks, indeed I was afraid to hear that… I was only hoping for some tweak.
Well, at least some adjust to this could be in the works, who knows? :slight_smile:

If you really wanted, you could use a hacky method by doubling the render resolution and then using a post-process material to zoom the scene textures back to standard resolution. That will force the engine to render beyond the viewport while sacrificing processing power. You’d also have to create an FoV multiplier for cameras since their FoV will no longer apply to the scene anymore.

oh… I see, but to be honest at most I was willing to do some “opent x.ini file, change this line and you are done!” :cool:

Im also looking for a way to do this, but I wanted it for improving ssgi rather than reflections.