How to view gameplay changes in the editor viewport when in VR Preview (PIE)?

I’ve recently switched from Unity to learning Unreal Engine and have been using version 5.3. I’m using the VRTemplate sample project with an HP Reverb G2 headset and everything is configured already for proper testing in the VR Preview. My issue with how this ends up working is that after playing in the VR Preview, there is no way (that I know of) to view the game scene changes that are happening.

This was an incredibly basic and useful feature in Unity where I could switch between the Game and Scene views for debugging/testing. It doesn’t make sense to me why Unreal Engine would not have this kind of feature.

Options that I have tried so far:

• Disable “Should Minimize Editor on VRPIE”
  • Enable “Viewport Gets HMDControl” and try VRPIE, Play in Selected Viewport, and SIE
  • Try any function keybinds for ejecting from the player or detaching from the PIE

Desired outcome:

1. Click on the Play button for the VR Preview
  2. Make some kind of change in the game like moving a box
  3. Press Shift+F1 to change focus back to the Editor
  4. View the change in the editor Viewport

I’d love to know this as well. It is one of the only things i miss from unity is that you could work in editor and vr. Im finding debugging in vr challenging in unreal as the editor isnt staying up.

EDIT: Holy crap i didn’t even realize the editor was minimized, just thought it was GONE. HA. Well this made everything 100 times easier. :slight_smile: P.S unchecking should minimize worked for me.

All that unchecking the “Should Minimize Editor on VRPIE” option does is keep the Editor window open. It doesn’t actually update the viewport with the changes that are happening in the VRPIE except in the Outliner sparsely.

Ah yes your right. I was so happy I could do blueprint debugging I didn’t even notice :slight_smile: .

were you able to find anything? it seems that we can still see the scene object details, and update those, but the the scene itself won’t be showing anything.

thoughts on unreal vs unity now? able to find a workaround? I am also on the boat of switching to unreal after unity

I think you’re confusing “VR Preview” with “VR Mode”. In UE, you can launch the editor in VR and edit your world. Unity had something similar once called EditorXR, which was discontinued.

Debugging in VR Preview should be no different than debugging in Unity.

Sadly I still haven’t found a solution to this particular issue in Unreal. Best workarounds I’ve been able to find are basic things like printing out location data and checking the scene object details like you said. I’ve been working on editing the engine source code for some other things so maybe once I’m more familiar with that I can look into a solution but I’m not too confident on it.

No I know about the VR Mode that’s available in Unreal but what I’d like to be able to do is view scene changes in the VR PIE in the same way that the regular PIE shows live scene updates. I’ll admit that I haven’t actually tried out the VR Mode yet because it seems like it wouldn’t be very productive for my way of working, but it seems like it’d be impossible to see the live scene updates since VR only has one view when playing.

Oh, I see. In Unity terms, you want to be able to move things in the Editor window while the Game window is running.

You need to eject from your pawn. F8 is the hotkey. This disconnects your camera from the game camera and allows you to get to the hierarchy and inspector.

That feature is disabled in the VR Preview and also included in the options that I initially tried.