How to use vertex color from static mesh without uv-map?

Hello,

I am wondering if it is possible to use the vertex color of a static mesh as its base color, when the static mesh doens’t have a UV-Map. My static mesh is basically a plane face (two triangles) with normals facing up. From my understanding that should be enough and you don’t need the UV-map. Unfortunately I can’t find a way to do this in UE4. Does anyone know if this is possible and if yes, how i would do it?

It should work fine. Also you can use world aligned texture node.

Unfortunately that does not solve my problem. Because if I disconnect the emissive color (because I dont want the material to glow), the static mesh will turn black after I clicked Building Lighting in the Editor. Do you have any additional hints? (And what exactly would the WorldAlignTexture node would do to help me?)

Open your mesh in the editor and search for “Generate Lightmap UV’s” and try again. If that doesn’t solve the issue you might want to increase the lightmap resolution.

WorldAlignTexture node maps a texture on your mesh. Just plug in a texture object and connect XYZ texture to base or emissive color.

Thanks again for your answer, but it just doenst work for me. I guess you just cant do it without a UV map for your static mesh. It seems like a very basic thing to just take the vertex color and use it as a base color without the need of a UV map, but hey, thats life…

What if you plug in a TexCoord node with index 1 in your customizedUV0 input and try again?

nope, looks fine when created, but turns black after build lighting (anyway, thank you for this suggestion)

I am mostly just curious why you would want to do this? What are you trying to achieve?

As for your latest comment:
Is your object set to movable? If no then it is trying to bake lighting, which means it is trying to bake down lighting information to a texture, for which you need an unwrap. Generating lightmap UV’s does not work since as far as I know Unreal does not actually create an unwrap itself but it just lay’s out the UV shells in the most optimal way making sure that all the shells are normalized and the exact same pixel density for the best results while packing it into the 0-1 uv space.

So without a unwrap to start with it simply can’t generate anything useful.

First of all thank you for your suggestion to set the object to movable, that did the trick for me.

“So without a unwrap to start with it simply can’t generate anything useful.” yes, i learned this now. The idea behind all this was the following (its kind of odd and dumb, I know): I have a very old (from about 2005) set of models. Some of the faces of those models dont have textures in the original application and instead are just colored with the help of their vertex colors. Since there are many such faces in many of the models i dont want to fix all of them manually. However as stated earlier, setting them to movable fixed it, and they are now no longer turning black after build lighting. Thank you very much!
(feel free to convert your comment into an answer, and I will accpet it as solved)

It turns black because the mesh doesn’t have a lightmap UV.
If you set your lights to moveable you will see that it works fine.
Best thing to do would be to create a simple UV. Would take a second in blender or similar.