How to separate the XYZ channels of textures

So i’m trying to separate the XYZ co-ordinates of textures (might also be doable with separating UVW of the textures), and then recombine them.

I come from blender so my lingo may be a bit off, but this is what i want to recreate, and what it looks like in blender:

I am trying to separate them so that i can round certain values to create a “pixelated” noise map.
The results i am looking for will be able to do something like this:

Split components seems to be a good start, but that is the RGB values of the texture, i feel like i must be missing something here.
I would really appreciate any help i can get, thanks!

Hey! Any update on this?

There is a break float 3 and make float 3 node used for splitting channels and recombining them. You can also just use the component mask node and append nodes (this is what the aforementioned functions do for you).

1 Like

When you just clump up the texture coordinates before sampling, what happens is that the derivatives go crazy, and the texture sampler selects the smallest MIP map, and everything goes gray or blurry.

You can work around this by adding a significant amount of MIP bias. Alternatively, you can just make the art be pixelated in the first place :slight_smile:
(There are also filtering artifacts, so if you want those crisp lines between pixels in a close-up, additional tweaking is probably needed.)

point sampling is a thing. no need to use shader instructions for pixelation. shakes head