How to send messages via network

Hi,
I already asked a question reffering to the same problem (https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/215193/communication-between-smartphonetablet-and-pc.html) but unfortunately nobody was able to help me. But I don’t want to double-post, I try to specify my problem:

I got an IPad and I want to be able to send messages to a PC. (In my case I want to handle a camera-movement, so the messages will probably include vectors - the IPad shall act like a remote controller)

To get started I followed some tutorials and worked with session nodes, that worked fine as long as I ran all instances of the game on PC’s (I was able to get 2 seperated PC’s joining one session). But when I packaged the project for iOS and got it to the IPad (with iTunes) it was not able to join a PC-hosted session.

Apart from that, my goal is to have an application running on the IPad that don’t have to be the same as the “hosting”-application on the PC. I guess they COULD be the same and I distinguish the displayed content by the “Is-Host”-Node, but I don’t need to think about this as long as I don’t get the devices connected.

Also, I can’t use C++ code or custom-Plugins on iOS, this is not supported yet.

So anyone got an idea, how I could send messages from my IPad to the PC via network? You would help me a lot!

I should add, that I both IPad and PC where in the same network and that I also opened the port (7777, checked it in the BaseEngine.ini).

Do you need the iOS side to be in UE4? In other words, is the iOS side also a “game”? Or is it just an input device?

We have UDK Remote (on the App Store) which sends touch and tilt/motion input from the device to a PC, so you can do multi-touch/tilt input debugging/iteration directly on the PC. I just wrote a custom iOS app that uses sockets to talk to the game/editor on the desktop.

But, if you want a proper UE4 game, I don’t see a reason that the networking wouldn’t work between different games. Networking is just sockets, in the end, which work fine between device and PC. When you connect, are you just doing “open xx.xx.xx.xx”?

Josh

The iOS-side is more complex than just input-stuff, it also displays things and is a “game”. I tried different ways to connect but neither does “open w.x.y.z” work nor does the “Find Session”-Node find any results.