How to scale Render Target Fluid Simulation?

As mentioned the scaling is no problem but I need some time modifing the HeightSim since changing the travel speed messes everything up and with larger render Targets the water moves slower and lags behind you a little( it stays with you but the waves are streched behind you)

well I adjusted the materials like in the pictures…
I assume the 3rd and 4th picture is in water materia?

but what values do I have to tweak now when i make my plane 5x5?

The last 2 are in the water shader yes.

If you want to do a 5x5 plane and you have set the render targets to 1024 set the water material texCoord from the 4th Picture to 1.25 and the NumTiles in the ForceSplat material to 1.25 too, if the waves are too big adjust the ForceSize.

Since you created a 4 times bigger render target a 4x4 plane should have the same detail as a 1x1 plane so 5/4 = 1.25.

You could do the adjustments automated but for now I Chose a Manual Approach.

As I said in an upper comment, I Need to modify the HeightSim shader because the waves get slower the larger the render target gets and the travel speed Parameter messes everything up if you go above 1.0. If i find a solution for that I will share it.

the result is exactly the same as if I had done no changes-…-

Totally forgot to mention that you have to adjust the TexelSize in the heightSim and ComputeNormal to 1/render target Resolution so in case you have a res of 1024 set texelSize to 0.000977

btw got it to work with minimal to no Quality loss now - YouTube

modify the height sim material that way and set the default travel speed value to 0.44

Also set the heightScale in the computeNormal to 0.0125

OK

your solution is needlessly complicated^^
BUT from your solution I found the steps to make it work much easier for 5x5 plane now :smiley:

1. set resolution of render Targets to 2048x2048 :slight_smile:
  2. change “texel size” in ComputeNormal and HeightSim to 1/2048
    (or 1/4096 or 1/1024 or whatever you need because because this basically describes the wavesize!)
  3. replace the scalar Parameter “ForceStrenght” in ForceSplat material with an Constant!!!
    because the scalar parameter is broken here for some reason!!!
  4. now you can adjust the waveheight with that constant from 0.0001 to 1+ :smiley:

this should be it^^

ofc you can still play around with travel size and force size and so on :stuck_out_tongue:

Gonna make a video Tutorial on this soon

222706-water.gif

Marvelmaster, it’s looking sensational… nice work and sign me up for a tutorial! Also BurningSky, thank you! :slight_smile:

Do it on a way larger scale and you‘ll understand that it‘s not needlessly complicated :wink:

Yeah it will work that way for your 5x5 scale but if you want to go larger with the same detail you will also need to increase the render target res and a higher res takes more memory and affects performance.

The aim of my solution is that you can scale the plane as much as you want without limits …for a scale of 32x32 you would need a 8192x8192 render target.

Nice that it works for you now :slight_smile:

1 Like

YES the Plane needs a simple Box Collision added!!
and only 10x10Meters scale works unless you edit the blueprint/material UV divisions somehow^^

AAANNND the pivot must be like in the pic unless you edit UV divisions somehow^^

AAANNND Plane needs to be unwrapped!

^^

thanks you sir you save my day… really thanks