How to run time dilation in Multiplayer

Hello, I am using global time dilation in my game to simulate feeling of weight and size of my character. Now when I try to run it on multiplayer I create event that runs on server for global time dilation and everything runs great on server but my client character is having animation glitching. If I set custom time dilation on character and remove server event for global time dilation it works great but I need everything to be slowed not just character with custom dilation. Does anyone have any solution for this? Thank in advance

Did you already try the solution of this old post?

Yes didn’t work. I have also noticed that if I don’t run as Listen Server but as Client it works great and two clients can see each other move nicely. So my guess is that there is problem syncing server and client just don’t know what to do to fix it

Can you post some screenshots? When it comes to multiplayer where you do stuff really matters. For example as a client, you cannot call events from the GameMode.

runs great on server but my client character is having animation glitching.

That is probably because you are not telling the client(s) to update their time dilations on the server. Sounds familiar to me! If you are doing stuff in the character itself, I suggest trying to follow this structure:

1. Event CustomEvent, which will call Server_CustomEvent
  2. Event Server_CustomEvent(Run on Server - reliable), which will call Multi_CustomEvent
  3. Event Multi_CustomEvent (Multicast - reliable), which will execute on both server + client(s).

So for example, here is what I would do:

Edit: A better way to do it can be like this:
In the player controller

In the game mode

However I have noticed the glitching you mean and I believe that is something that might need tinkering with from the engine source. Might have to do with the network clock but I’m still a beginner in networking. This might be good to read for you as well:

1 Like

Tested this still didn’t work. I also tested it in new project and same results when you slowdown time animations are choppy. It might have something to do with Network clock so that is what I will check next

1 Like

Yeah it is probably that. I tested as well and I understand what you mean by choppy now. At first I thought by glitchy u meant that the server was overriding client’s data but not in this case here. It is gotta do with something else…

Thank you for testing it out so I know for sure it is not just me. Time to learn about Network clock and see what I can do

1 Like