How To Remove Waterbody Collisions Entirely?

I’ve discovered that when any character is submerged in a waterbody such as a lake or ocean, non line trace fired projectiles immediately have their “On Hit” event triggered by whatever collision volume surrounds waterbody actors. Even after turning off collisions for both the waterbody actor and the waterbody component, the on hit event is still immediately triggered. Even after setting the waterbody actor to a different collision type, this still happens. Upon printing the collision type from the on hit event, I see it comes out as “World Static.” So I can fix this by setting projectiles to ignore the world static collision type but then that will affect all the other static meshes on my level, meaning I would have to set all of them to a new collision type. I could also uncheck “Generate collisions” from the waterbody actor but then I lose the cool post process effects that come with being submerged and Id really like to not do that if possible.

My question is, is there an easier way of solving this than to implement the above? If so how? Thanks in advance for your time.

Hey there @Violentlaw! In cases like this, if you need to still collide with objects of it’s type, I’d recommend using a multi-trace instead and just ignoring all results that are of the waterbody collision.

Hi! Sorry about getting back to you so late. Do you mean using a multi line trace instead of using a physical projectile? If so, id prefer to not do that, as a lot of my game relies on physical projectiles. If that’s the case, is my next best option to set my projectiles to ignore “worldstatic” collision type, and set all things that need to be collided with by projectiles, as a different collision type? I’m willing to do that. I’m just trying to figure out if there are other faster ways of achieving the same result, perhaps something simple I was missing.

Any negatives you could see resulting from doing things this way?

No worries, it’s a forum, I don’t expect instant replies and I have notifications for days myself so I understand! In my original comment I didn’t realize you were talking about projectiles instead of traces. Generally you could just disallow the water bodies from colliding, just overlapping and ignore the overlaps with waterbody collisions in your processing. Otherwise if you were to want to go with ignoring all statics, you would have more work on your hands if you want projectiles to work out of the box.

Ok thanks. That pretty much reinforces what I need to do from here on out. Water bodies are not ignoring my projectiles even when I set both the water body and the projectile to ignore each other. So I’m just gonna go ahead and set my projectiles to ignore worldstatic and go from there.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.