How to prevent Unreal engine from crashing when submitting to source control?

Hello, I am experiencing an issue when using unreal engine with perforce for revision control.

Every time I submit a change to the perforce server my intance of unreal engine crashes. This so far has been the case with Unreal 5.2 and 5.1 but not 4.27
The files do end up submitting to source control, however Unreal crashes in the process.
This doesnt seem to happen with other members of my team however as they can submit without causing a crash on their own computers

The files still successfully submit, its is just that UE5 crashes in the process

below are the specs of my computer and a snapshot of the processes in the system monitor.

Thank you for all your help

1 Like

just tried reinstalling unreal 5.1 and 5.2 and restarting my pc. the issue still remains

same with reinstalling p4v

I am still not sure what was at the root of the issue exactly but it must have been something to do with the Graphics drivers in my particular case because the crashing wasnt an issue after updating my GPU drivers with a clean install

I’m experiencing this exact same issue. Updating graphics drivers didn’t fix it for me. When I submit changes, the editor freezes indefinitely. The changelist does get submitted properly, but I have to end the editor in task manager almost every time.

Anyone got any updates regarding this? My unreal also freezes up when submitting with perforce source control though in P4V interface things work just fine

yeah likewise

I was just about to make a post asking about the same. Currently working on a demo for our indie game, and after we turned on DX12 (decided to due to nanite and lumen stuff), everytime we want to submit to revision control, our Unreal freezes (happening on multiple pcs). We are running UE 5.3.1. The changes do get sumited like with you guys, but yeah… Unreal just permafreezes. Had no issues with this before we went up to DX12.

Did anyone ever figure out a reasoning or a fix for this?

1 Like

I am also having this issue. Unreal engine will freeze completely, but most of the time my updates always updates my submission to perforce.

Has anyone found any workarounds or fixes for this as of November 30 2023?

I’ve been having the same issue for about 2 months now, but after doing a clean install of the latest NVIDIA drivers like @Enlargedhousecat mentioned, it’s working again. The key thing I guess is doing a clean install, previously I just did the usual express update and the issue persisted afterwards.

What did you do exactly to do a “clean install”? I tried, by going into the apps in settings and deleting anything related to nvidia drivers, restarting, and then installing the drivers again via GeForce Experience and restarting, and that didn’t fix it for me.

Forgot it’s a bit hidden these days. I’m recalling from memory now, so might be a bit off: when the next driver update drops, don’t use express installation, but rather the other option (I think it’s called custom installation). Once you get your installation options, on the bottom of the window should be a tick box for “clean installation” - just enable this and proceed with the installation. It essentially wipes all your settings and uninstalls the current driver before installing the new driver.

I guess you can also force this process if you don’t want to wait for the next update by just manually uninstalling your current driver and then reinstalling latest via GeForce Experience.

I just can’t figure out how the graphics driver and source control are related. The only thing I can think of is that the revision control tool sends some sort of render freeze to the GPU to freeze the entirety of Unreal while committing content, and then it doesn’t manage to let the GPU release this freeze again after commit is successful…

Anyhow, hope it fixed the issue for you too. :crossed_fingers:

Yeah so this didn’t fix it for me. Did a clean reinstall of my drivers and it didn’t work. What I’m thinking is the issue is that I’m currently hosting the Perforce server locally on my machine to test out the software, and that might be causing the software to hang. I’m going to host a server separate from my machine and test it that way and see if it works.