How to Pixelate Noise in a material?

Hello, so i have a material using a noise node and im trying to pixelate it for the style of my game. Ive looked on the internet but could only find tutorials using the texture coordinate. Problem is that a noise node uses the absolute world position and not the texture coordinate. So how would i go about giving my noise a pixelated effect?

1 Like

I think if you take a variation of the usual formula, and apply it to the world position

That link is about panning, but it’s the same concept.

i tried. i dunno where the math error is, but this is not working as expected. no pixels in unreal. it’s vectors and pi. you want pixels you play minecraft.

Ok, so ive been trying this for some time and while i did get the noise pixelated its very glitchy and constantly flickers. This is because world position and floor node dont go together well. Problem I have is that thats the primary component to the pixelation effect im trying to get. If theres any alternatives, let me know, but this is the only solution i know of.

For the time being i might just use default texture samples and add distance blending, vector noise, triplanar mapping, etc. to it so i also get a good result.

1 Like

It’s that * node that’s causing the glitching

Can you just work with scaling from the pixel size param?

Or, if you mean the glitch you get when you move the actor, then try this

Got it to work. Just adding subtract node eliminated all the flickering. Works perfectly now.

Heres the final result:

1 Like