How to match subpainter viewport to UE5 with acescg workflow?

strong text
image above -
so I have been trying to use this ACESCG color thing, I used acescg as a color management in sub painter as unreal uses the same one but when I look at the colors they look really different, can someone tell me how to match colors in both the software, painter rendered in iray while unreal was just high res screenshot, could it be that unreal needs to be rendered to look similar, I really like how colors are looking in painter with acescg enabled but in unreal looks washed out. is there something I need to do, or do I need textured to be exported in a different file format, or something in unreal could solve this? same HDRI was used in both software with same rotation
can someone make a guide on how to set up substance painter to match UE5 with ACESCG workflow instead of using free LUT

I’d also like to see this I’m struggling with washed out textures too
Or just a consensus on what a neutral light setup is in unreal. Right now all the sample scenes have different default sunlight values and different exposure compensation values so it’s really hard to know where neutral gray should be.

i have used same hdri to light the scene but, they all look washed out in ue5 compare to how good it looks in painter, I did setup color management to acescg in unreal but still it looks washed out, I think there must be something to do with how texture exported and used in unreal.
i hope people ar UNREAL makes a full video of this pipeline that everyone can get into it.

1 Like

i used acescg 1.2 as color management in sb painter, then exported textures as exr, then in unreal I turned on acescg color profile and restarted the unreal, after that I took basic color texture and changed few thing in the texture like - texture setting - color source setting - set encoding overide to srgb and color space to - acescg.
see if these work for your. mine is lagging a little so iwas unable to see it properly

Yea I don’t think it’s a color management thing. I think it’s the way lumen is calibrated right now and the way it is adding ight to the scene.
If you make a scene with a directional light of 2.5 the colors look more correct… but the light levels and bounces look off.
If you make a scene with a directional light of 10 (default) the light bounces look correct but the colors are all washed out.
Idk really

1 Like

The best way to compare them in both apps is to match a hdri with studio lighting and match the light types in ue5. To calibrate the values use a 50% grey ball on both setups and adjust substance to look like in UE5.

Also don‘t use any exposure or other post process effect in UE5.

1 Like

I think I will drop the idea of acescg workflow and use the old method until I acquire more in-depth knowledge about it. if you find a linear workflow instead of a workaround please stop in the comment.

Have you, guys, tried this?

3 Likes