How to make very shiny effect?

Hey guys,

I’m currently trying to create a scene but I cannot find a way to make it look how I want it to be.

Basically I want a building to shine but in Realtime I get a result and in not-Realtime I get another (when I uncheck the option in a certain time-frame)

Anyway here’s what I’m getting:

The Not in Realtime image is what I want to achieve in Realtime.
I tried reflection capture spheres but it seems they do not affect the shininess.

Am I doing anything wrong with materials (they are quixel megascans) or do I have to mess around with Post Process, camera PoW, console commands etc.?

Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

It’s still not working.
Could it be a distance from the camera problem?

Those meshes are quite far from the camera point of view.

If that’s the case is there a variable I should change to make the shininess part to be viewed from a greater distance?

Seems like it.

I think the surface must be directly proportional to the distance from the camera, so as the camera moves further away the reflection surface has to be bigger and viceversa.

I’m totally “guessing” here as I’m not sure if this is the only and right way to solve this problem but from the tests I’ve done it seems it works like this.

If there’s a better solution I’m up to hear it since in this specific case I can solve the problem by increasing the size of the mesh but in another project I might not be able/cannot to do it.

I don’t know why they’re not the same, but yes, post process is the way to go:

Drop one in the scene, set infinite extent = true and bloom to about 3.

Do you see the difference with the PP? What I mean is, are you sure it’s working…?

Yes, the PP is working, I can definetely see the effect of the bloom around the whole scene.

I tried other little things in PP and then I tried to change the meshes themselves and I found out that increasing the size of the meshes, the realtime problem is solved.

Also the perfect angulation of the meshes seems to be determinant in the shininess problem.

Anyway I’m still very concerned on why with a normal sized mesh and a not perfect angulation of it with the camera POW, the resuIts I get in Realtime and not-in-Realtime are completely different.

By the way this is the result (in Realtime) I’m currently getting:

As you can see I changed the size of one mesh and the rotation of both.

P.S. I’m thinking the problem might be with the distance from the camera.

If it’s a camera distance problem, then it would improve when you move the camera closer. Does it?

Sounds like it’s to do with LODs. Not quite sure how though. Try limiting the model to LOD0 ( use forced LOD in details )

Unfortunately it’s not it.

I tried to both force the LOD to 0 and also to put a mesh with just LOD0 in it and the result is the same.

And just to add another problem I found out this “bumpiness” in the reflections:

[Light_Bump video][2]

You might notice that the light “bumps” back and forth…

The plot thickens…

I tried both solutions and nothing to do.
I also tried to make an empty level and I made a simple recreation of the simple with just the mesh, the directional light and the camera and realtime and not-in-realtime give different results.

At this point I will try to fake the effect in another way.

And what about the light-bump/glare problem?

I see reports of other people with similar problems. Usually solved by one of two things:

1. Restart the editor

2. Copy everything into a new fresh level.

Sorry running out of ideas here… Do you have 4.25?

I noticed some materials flicking since I changed. I had to edit the material to stop it happening…

About the material editing, can you tell me what things you change?
I could try and see if it work.

This project is running on 4.24.
I guess I should try to port it to 4.25 and see if it is any better.

I’m sorry man, I’m giving you too much trouble ahah
Anyway thank you very much for all the help and the fast replies.

It was a very particular material so I don’t think that would help.

The only things I can think of are:

1. Upgrade to 4.25 and try or

2. Make a tiny project with just the mesh and enough to make it happen, and I’ll take a look…