How to make my character invisible (halo ce, 2 fade)

Hello, I’m trying to replicate the way the invisibility pick up works in the halo games, is a fade from the regular materials to a translucent material, If you take damage or fire you start getting opaque smoothly. If you stop taking damage or firing if the timer is still running you turn invisible again. I have a way working but doesn’t fade smoothly it just assigns the translucent material and I also have this other way that is a masked material that turns the opacity to 0 and then I assign the translucent but doesn’t look the way I want nor I can fade smoothly. What would be the best way to achieve this?
Here’s an example from halo infinite but is basically the same idea. from sec 19 and forward https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x20mfBkf_bg

Create an Opacity parameter in the parent material class.
Apply the Material Instance to the character.
In character construction create a Dynamic Material Instance… promote the return to a variable (e.g. DMICharacterSkin)

To apply fade use Set Scalar Parameter Value to adjust opacity.

My character has textures and my mats are opaque or masked if I change to translucent it will make the textures look different. i need some distortion or refraction so just making the opacity lower won’t give me the result I’m looking for. Thank you tho

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.