How to make 2d/orbital clouds?

Think minecraft the clouds that go overhead as you play. Trying to make something similar but there are literally 0 tutorials on this.

Thanc.

You could make an actor with some static meshes and have them move, wrap their position if they get too far. What’s wrong with that?

Would a plane mesh with a mat applied be better? I’m trying to make it cheap as possible performance wise.

I guess if it’s instanced static meshes though it would be cheap af and it literally only needs to be a couple since view distance culls anything after 15k unreal units.

Wrap positioning? I honestly had no idea that’s a thing sounds awesome as hell though.

Sure, plane is faster. Minecraft can do 3d clouds on higher graphical settings I think.

Behold my wonky prototype, demonstrating the power of 5min blueprints scripting :smiley:

Image from Gyazo

But seriously, If you want it really performant, this could be done in material; a single plane and just draw shapes - quite a bit of work but perfectly doable I think.

Image from Gyazo

It would need more work to make it look right but this is as fast as you’ll get. It’s one plane and 1 image.

Wrap positioning? I honestly had no
idea that’s a thing sounds awesome as
hell though.

Yeah, if it goes beyond cull distance and disappears, you snap its position back to where it came from, as in the moving picture above.

Happen to know any good material tuts out there?

For something like this? Not sure but you can start with this:

Texture (perhaps have more than one for some variety)

This material is applied to a plane. You could make 2 - 3 layers with different speed and it might look half decent even for something that simple.

Well hey, thank you.