Download

How to Improve Texture Streaming GPU performance in UE5 over 20% increase on GPU memory [Solved]

In my research into Windows TextureStreaming and Visual Studio 2022 17.1 performance.
I have found that adding setting in the config file
D:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.0EA\Engine\Config\Windows\ WindowsEngine.ini
The following lines contained
[TextureStreaming]
; PoolSizeVRAMPercentage is how much percentage of GPU Dedicated
;VRAM should be used as a TexturePool cache for streaming textures (0 - unlimited streaming)
PoolSizeVRAMPercentage=70
When looking at the GPU Performance in Windows Task Manager Performance Tab.
The Dedicated GPU memory is locked at 1.4GB/2.0GB which means that I CANNOT use any more than 1.4GB,
hence the Texture Streaming error displayed on streaming in the Valley of Ancients Project Sample,
my UE5 converted free Epic Infiltrator Project
I have now changed the value from 70 to 0

[TextureStreaming]
; PoolSizeVRAMPercentage is how much percentage of GPU Dedicated VRAM should be used as a TexturePool cache for streaming textures (0 - unlimited streaming)
;PoolSizeVRAMPercentage=70
;@VS2022 TexturePool cache for streaming textures (0 - unlimited streaming)
PoolSizeVRAMPercentage=0

Now shutdown UE5 make the change to and restarted Via Launcher
D:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.0EA\Engine\Config\Windows\ WindowsEngine.ini
PoolSizeVRAMPercentage=0
When I restarted the UE5 project and played the project I am now using 95% of GPU Dedicated VRAM to be used as a TexturePool cache, this was 70%

When looking at the GPU Performance in Windows Task Manager Performance Tab.
The Dedicated GPU memory is initially at 0.2GB/2.0GB so I am using less than the original 1.4GB/2.0GB setting.
Next, playing the project I have found the value 1.9GB/2.0GB.
This means I am now using 95% of GPU Dedicated VRAM should be used as a TexturePool cache, which is the highest value I have ever used.

When I stop the project usage falls from 95% of GPU Dedicated VRAM to 75% or 1.5GB/2.0GB.
In my UE5 converted free Epic Infiltrator Project, where I converted Static Meshes to Nanite,
I can see GPU Dedicated VRAM increasing and decreasing on demand from the program.

Please try this and report your finding especially developers with 8GB Dedicated VRAM graphics cards
Thanks,
Jimbo

Im struggling with the “Video Memory Has Been exhausted” message in UE5.

I tried what you suggested above.
I have also tried changing to “r.ReflectionCaptureResolution=512” changed down from 2048 in the DefaultEngine.ini file.

My PC is quite capable:
AMD Ryzen 9
RTX 3070 Vision OC 8G
64GB RAM
SSD Storage

I am reasonably new to Unreal and cant resolve this issue.

Can someone suggest a solution please?

Dean

Did you find a solution? I’m going through the same problem.

In my research into Windows TextureStreaming and Visual Studio 2022 17.1 performance.
I have found that adding setting in the config file

C:\Users\Owner\source\repos\UE50\Engine\Config\BaseEngine.ini
The following lines contained
[TextureStreaming]
NeverStreamOutRenderAssets=False
MinTextureResidentMipCount=7
;originally
;PoolSize=160
; make PoolSize 8 times bigger
PoolSize=1280

Also see the command from
BaseInput.ini:+ManualAutoCompleteList=(Command=“DumpTextureStreamingStats”,Desc=“Dump current streaming stats (e.g. pool capacity) to the log”)