How to I make 50 square mile Map?

I’m trying to make a 50 square mile map but I don’t understand how to convert the measurements in the engine to make this map.

1 unit in Unreal = 1cm
However, that map size is too big and you’ll need to use World Composition to get it to work:

Even using that, isnt there still limitations?

Not really, they’ve added the necessary features to it like origin shifting, the only problem with this type of thing is that you’re not going to have the entire world visible so stuff in the far distance won’t be there until you get close enough, but it’s not a big issue.

I see. Thanks

Ok so does anyone know what the biggest I can do without having to do world composition, that seems more complicated then I would like to try right now. Also I am making a multiplayer game and on the page it says you cant do origin shifting with multiplayer.

6km, while the engine lets you make up to like 25km the physics break down after 6

Ok then it looks like ill have to figure out world composition then because my map has to be bigger than 6km

Yes, it’s an issue with floating point precision, you could put large objects far away to represent landscapes but for gameplay to work the limit of what things will work is about 6km. The physical limit is 25km that Unreal has. World composition will allow you to have as big of a map as you want because it shifts the world to the origin to avoid the physics problems and manages the switching of sections of the map.

The default player at sprint speed = 600 moves at 13.5 mph. So you can hold sprint, and count to get your approximate size if it’s a flat world. I’m too lazy to make a calculator, or a blueprint. On event begin play sprint until death, and tell me how long it took. Lol. . Man. It would be nice if we could sculpt a round world, and use world comp to add interpolating movement. Then we could have a planetary effect. We could make a side scroller that took 24 hours to complete it’s orbit, and level. In that perfect world it would build without generating a lightmap build error.

I think if you gonna make a planetary terrain world, the gravity of the engine would have to be altered as well. I don’t think the engine has a spherical gravity volume yet.

I’m trying to make a networked multiplayer game, not split screen. It also has single player mode.

That is actually no longer correct.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/community/work-in-progress/81424-pull-request-world-origin-shifting-in-mp