How to have a moving boat with its inside section without Water (Physics Volume + Water Plugin mesh)

Hi there, I’m using trying to make a boat that moves through an ocean, using Physics Volume (Water: True) and the new Water plugin for the water mesh and underwater post-processing.

All is fine, the only two problems that I have right now are: 1) the players inside the inner parts of the ship (that are below the water level) have their current physics volume saying that they are in the water, and 2) they see the waves coming through the ship hull.

1) The physics volume would be easy to fix if there were a physics volume component that could be attached to the inside of the ship (then just set it to have a higher priority than the water volume). But from what I’ve seen there is no such thing, so I’m at a loss as to what could be done to fix this issue.

2) For the water mesh I’m also not sure, I believe something might be done using a post-processing component attached to the ship, that somehow would remove the rendering of the water mesh if the player is inside the ship, but again, if that’s is the way to go, I have no idea on to what is the process to do that.

I can only help with water mesh inside the boat.
In “Water material” at the very end do this: (Add “Material attribute” node, click it and find “OpacityMask” option in Details)

And it’s actually done.
Then just create a solid, closed body (convex) representing your boat:

Just put meshes together, in “Render” category disable “Render in main pass” (you can uncheck everything, actually) and that’s it.

Struggled a lot with this thing, found a solution in “Unreal Slackers” discord.

1 Like

Thanks for the images and example! I haven’t tested, but from what I’ve read this seems to be a solution indeed.