How to get playarea points from OpenXR (chaperone/guardian etc.)

Hi there,
i’m fairly new to vr dev in ue. I want to get the exact shape (or as exact as possible) of the play area border in unreal. AFAIK back in the days there was this “Steam VRChaperone” component that you could add to your player pawn to retrieve all points of your chaperone. In the oculus world there is a “Get Guardian Points” node to retrieve the points of the guardian area. It is just logical that those information about guardian/chaperone exists and it seems the propreitary apis (steam/oculus) have functions to access them.

Now these days UE seems to only rely on openxr which supports steam and oculus hardware to a good degree. But i wonder why there is no function to obtain data about the playarea of the underlying system (chaperone/guardian) - or am i blind?

Maybe some of you can shed some light. Maybe iam also totally wrong and understood this thing about play area wrong.

Would be greatful to hear some thoughts. Thanks :slight_smile:

For some background info: Iam using ue5 and quest 3. Currently i play around in ue and start the vr game from editor. The quest 3 is connected using Steam Link or Quest Link over wifi. I would like to use the (chaperone/guardian) points to match the headset orientation in the virtual world to the realworld. Since these points are sticky to the realworld, it would be the perfect reference point. I also tried to achieve this with ARPins, but couldnt get it to work and also seems a bit overkill for what i want.

hey, @DanielMo!

here:
Visualizing Play Area Bounds | Unreal Engine 4.27 Documentation

it shows you how to access the playing boundary.

Happy Game Developing!

Hi thanks for the answer :slight_smile:
ive already seen it. Also took a look at the VR Template in UE. But i dont understand how this shall work. What i get with “Get Playarea Bounds” is the bounds (length and width of the play area in centimeters - i can confirm cause i tested it), but i still dont have the orientation of it. This is absolutely needed if i want to buid my own “chaperone” zone in my game. Without it, my play area in the game might have the correct bounds size, but is still wrongly oriented =/

Unfortunately, the VR Template does not deal with this problem.

I got it to work finally. Ill sum it up real quick for others cause it was a bigger hustle for me, specially for those who are new. The following describes how i got spatial anchors to run over air link directly in UE5.3.2 editor BUT since we are using directly the metaxr plugin in ue, we can read all points from guardian using this node “get guardian points”. Seems MetaXR plugin is the way to go when its about quest dev <3. sooo much more convenient! Here is how to do it:

1. I installed the metaxr plugin from the meta website for ue5.3.2 (can also be done via epic marketplace, search for “metaxr”). Maybe follow short install instructions on meta page: https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/package/unreal-engine-5-integration/60.0

2. Setup developer account at meta and bring the quest 3 into developer mode afterwards (like people do when sideloading stuff over adb)

3. Log out from oculus software on pc and re-login (needed to do it to make it recognize that iam a dev now)

4. Within the occulus software on pc: Switch “OpenXR-Runtime” to use the Oculus runtime

5. Also in occulus software: Go to “Preferences” → “Beta” → Switch on “Runtime Features for Devs”. I checked “Passthrough via Oculus Link” and “Pointcloud via occulus link” (dunno how the english terms are. I use german language in app) - options will only appear once the software recognizes that you are dev. This is why i re-logged in.

6. In unreal i disabled openxr, restarted and enabled metaxr

7. In unreal under “Project settings” under “Plugins” open “Meta XR” i enabled “Anchor Support” and “Anchor Sharing”

After that i just followed the instructions on https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/unreal/unreal-spatial-anchors/
as you mentioned and works like a charm - also when running the VR project in UE Editor with Quest 3 being connected via Air Link … So no need to build APK yay! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.