How to fix RHI/D3D11 crash?

I keep getting this error every 5-10 minutes, and its extremely frustrating to work like this! I cant even import anything without is crashing halfway through. It is also known as:

UE-4228
Crash due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x887A0006 - ‘HUNG’)

ive tried the -dx12 thing, tried forward renderer (fails to launch editor), and dont know how to do the grhi= 11 thing

Have you updated your video drivers?

yes already done that

Did you build the engine?

what do you mean? How do I do that?

Ok, then not, it doesn’t matter :slight_smile:

I notice you have DarthViper replying on the forums ( you also posted there ), give that a go…

301635-restoredown.png

Workaround for me:

“restore down” your editor (the little multiple window button next to the X in the top right of your window) and then just grab the corner and scale the editor window to fit your screen.

Also, simply opening OBS seems to fix it (not even recording). I’m submitting a bug report with workarounds so maybe Epic can find the real problem.

For 4.24 and 4.25, my desktop has this weird UI stutter when it is maximized and on my laptop it crashes with the D3D device lost error.

Reliably working after just not maximizing the editor. Hope it works for you too.

Oddly enough, it kind of works lol. It has prolonged the crashes for a longer time, allowing me to work without it crashing every few minutes which is definitely weird but I guess a clue in the right direction. Just fyi though, I did reinstall my drivers from DDU clean install again and am currently running an older version nvidia driver 382.64 which is from the clevo manufacturer site

This has been happening for me in 4.24.x - 4.25.x. Seems to happen when using any of the editor UI menus or content browser. This did not occur for me in 4.23.1 or earlier.

Having the same issue on my laptop
As long as the editor is maximized, i got weird stutter and gitter, and soon after a crash !
I just have to start UE4 ( 4.24.3 ) and move my mouse over the different folder ( not even real time thumbnail ) and the tilt start to act like crazy ! I realise if i focus on a other reduced tab ( Explorer for exemple ) and moove over the UE4 icons, the gitter happen way more !
crash often happen extremly fast as i can’t even realise a single simple task.
Also, when the crash occurs, my screen flash to black, then turn of, then turn back on to black and slowly switch to normal with every graphics app freeze on black screen.

If you have an NVIDIA graphics card and running into this issue, you might want to download the “Studio” drivers instead of the regular drivers. I had this crash occur constantly (every 5-10 mins) in 4.24.x and 4.25.x, but not in 4.23.x or earlier versions. After installing the Studio drivers about 2 weeks ago, I haven’t run into this issue again and I use 4.25.4 for several hours daily.

i have tried various studio drivers…most recent 460.89 and older to see if that helps…nothing does.
I always use DDU in safe mode and ensure windows doesn’t install what it wants on restart.
UE4 is plagued by this error and i am seriously getting to the point where i feel like giving up!;(

I spend more time troubleshooting what could be wrong than actually doing anything creative…
seems a very fragile relationship between the gpu and ue4 .

Assertion failed: Size > 0 [File:D:/Build/++UE4/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/D3D12RHI/Private/D3D12Buffer.cpp] [Line: 93]

UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_D3D12RHI
UE4Editor_D3D12RHI
UE4Editor_D3D12RHI
UE4Editor_D3D12RHI
UE4Editor_D3D12RHI
UE4Editor_RenderCore
UE4Editor_RenderCore
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
kernel32
ntdll

I seem to have fixed it on my side ! After updating every single drivers, bios, re installe clean windows etc… nothing was working.
I susspected a weird behavior on the iGPU, i finally come to an intel driver manager ( Intel Driver and support assistant ) and i thing that what did it for me !

After installation, i got few update ( even some i already did manually ) and after that it worker ! I’m not 100% sure as i did many manupulation in a row, but i’m pretty confident it’s what fixed it for me !

So if you have laptop with iGPU, i’ll advice you make sure everything is up to date and cheack on the intel manager

whats iGPU?

can you expand on your fix just in case its relevant. thanks

ahhh integrated GPU;)

no, don’t have one. only my 2080 ti…and its a workstation.

cheers

I have a GTX 1060 and running UE4.25.4. I still haven’t had any D3D11RHI crashes since installing the studio drivers version 456.71 back in October so stable enough. There is enough oddness with who sees this crash and who doesn’t that I wonder if the combination of monitor and graphics card might be contributing. Are you running multiple monitors with your workstation? If so (and you haven’t already done so), try rebooting your workstation with just one of the monitors plugged in and running UE4 to see if the crash still occurs. If it doesn’t occur, then do the same, but using the other monitor… might help isolate the problem a bit further.

yeh thanks for that. have done this in the past with other crashes its just there are so many factors to consider when UE4 starts crashing you forget.

nope disabling monitors does not help