How to fix editor stuttering and freezing?

I’ve been having issues recently with with UE5.1 with the editor having stuttering and random freezing that will last about 3-6 seconds before it snaps back. I’ve even tried setting the quality to Low with 50% resolution and still have the same issues once I open even a smallish medium sized project. For example, I have started a new project and in landscape mode even just sculpting I have the issues. And when I select foliage and try to use that the issue intensifies. This last time trying to build my project the editor crashed with a error that my GPU/D3D is missing or unplugged. My machine specs aren’t that bad either(Posted Below) there’s others with less that can do way more then what mine can atm. I’ve tried updating the GPU drivers with no resolve, and also making sure other programs were closed not to interfere with the editor. Anyone have any advice or anything I can try to turn off/on or use to fix this issue? Thanks :pray: at this point I can barely even make or setup anything of substance bc of the lagging and crashing but hopefully I can find a solution.

Edit* Also I forgot to add that even trying a sample project from the marketplace the in-game is so bad that it’s totally unplayable, my FPS drops significantly to the point I can’t even move around without major stuttering/lagging.

Pc specs
2021 Asus G15 zephyrus laptop
CPU- AMD 9 5900HS
GPU- Nvidia GeoForce 3070
2TB-SSD
36gb RAM

Hi WretchedBeaches,

5.1 introduced “0n demand” shader compiling - is it possibly that? Does a packaged build suffer from the same problems?

I haven’t changed any of the other settings yet I wanted to try and get someone’s opinion on what I could change to try and improve editor performance. I could try to use the 5.0 release and see if there’s any change. Basic things and like the starter 3rd person levels run fine or small levels (single dungeon building) though with only very minor stuttering. I haven’t tried a packaged build as I don’t have any on hand. Can I take one and package it from the marketplace to test? And is there any settings I should make sure are on or off? I do have a few plugins enabled like quixel and meta human but that’s really the only ones I’ve turned on myself.

Yeah it just comes as default like that now - if you enable screen messages (just turn on FPS counter or something) you’ll see messages on screen if it’s compiling shaders when it glitches.

Yes you can package any project - just using the default settings should be ok, it shouldn’t matter what plugins you have enables.

Oh yeah I have that option enabled (the FPS counter/logs) and it doesn’t show it’s compiling the shaders. It only compiles as it should normally like when first opening the project or when the play buttons pressed. I’ll try 5.0 and to package a build and see how that does real quick.

1 Like

Yeah so, 5.0 saw a slight improvment in editor performance but also the same. after building a project and running it for about 3 minutes i got the GPU/D3D crashing error (see screenshot). I mean with my specs i should even on medium/low settings should not be having the amount of issues that im having. Weirdly first starting it wasnt that bad but as i got more comfortable and made slightly bigger projects it just got worse. In landscape just with a blank one, if i build small mounds and use the smooth tool everytime the mouse is clicked the FPS frops from 60 to 13 or less. once i unclick it freezes for a few seconds then goes back to 60. Its reall frustrating i cant even do small simple projects when by all means i should. Would it help to move my projects to a second SSD and have the engine on another? my 2 - 1TB drives are at about 60% full each so they should be fine if thats a option to try. Anything on my end PC wise i can try to diagnose whats happening or if im having a GPU/CPU botleneck issue?
the sample project is “OldWestLearning” from the marketplace and the character is a random one from there as well.

Yeah I get that same GPU crash all the time too - since 5.0 - the only way I’ve found to get around it is to optimize everything down to a point where it doesn’t happen - I have a 3070 (I’ve noticed it only seems to happen on RTX30 series cards) - I switch down to “Medium” scalability, just turn up GI to High sometimes to test (but that usually ends in a GPU crash).

But it sounds like you have something else going on to make it so slow - do you have multiple monitors?

One developer said his UE5.0 would run like a dog while he had YouTube open in a browser tab - closing that sped it back up again…

what results do you get from entering “stat gpu” in the console?

So ive posted two photos Below one idle in the editor on the landscape. First pic (IDLE in blue) is the editor resting with no input. i can move around in the world and hav no issues, the second (DROP in black) is when i attempt to slowly use smooth across the mounds. scalability is set to medium, 50% resolution and material quality set to medium. but with hte mouse clicked it drops and as soon as its depressed im having a stutter then it goes back to 60 and runs fine.

It could be a problem with Edit Layers, check out this post:

1 Like

Bro your awesome, that fixed the stuttering using the smoothe tool tho i fear my other issues with performance will still haunt me once the project gets bigger. But as far as this specific issue its solved :slight_smile:

1 Like