How to fix artifacts in lumen shadows?

for some reason, in my project when the player walks around, some of his shadow stays in place on the ground
this didn’t happen in my project until recently and I don’t know what could be the cause, any idea how to fix it?

1 Like

Hello!

This problem can be solved by changing the shadow map methot from “virtual shadow map” to “standard shadow map” in the rendering tab on the project settings.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

thanks, but that’d mean I would have to go back to baking lighting, which I’d rather avoid
I’m fairly certain virtual shadow maps aren’t inherently the cause anyway, as I’ve been using them for some time and the artifacts only just started appearing

Virtual shadow maps are a completely dynamic solution, they wouldn’t require baking, unless I misunderstand?

Either way, that is an incredibly strange bug, truly baffling. What are the viewmodes telling you? Or is it something with a screen-space shadow mask? Even persistant shadowing would be expected more as ghosting, not the choppiness you’re seeing.

what I’m saying is that disabling virtual shadow maps would mean having to bake lighting

for what it’s worth, the issues started happening when I tried enabling ray tracing, and persisted even after disabling it and restarting the editor

also worth noting the artifacts disappear when they go offscreen or something moves nearby

Ah, I misunderstood, my apologies.

That is quite baffling, especially ray-tracing being the cause. I have truly no clue, although I would ask about your API and version number first off, many strange behaviors are the results of old versions or incomplete featuresets.

someone on the unreal slackers discord told me it’s apparently possible to just use cascaded shadows instead of VSM or baked lighting

I don’t know about the API but I’m on version 5.0.3

It got fixed when I switched to Shadow maps instead of VSM, does anyone have a solid fix so that I can still use VSM?

I ended up fixing it by creating a physics asset for my character and setting up collisions in it
the problem was caused by the bounds on the skinned mesh being either way too large or nonexistent, and the physics asset allowed unreal to calculate correct bounds iirc

8 Likes

That end up to fix the problem, Thanks :smiley: