How to enable Chaos

Correct. As I said, some information is missing here which was not in any of Chaos related videos. Some simple information I guess.

Could you create a BP for the projectile that would destroy parts of the cubestack?

Do geometry collections react to the apply damage events? If not will this be added in the future?\

Edit: Or will the damage system and damage types be deprecated?

Hi everyone,

I managed to have a “projectile to induce destruction” by adding the components of the Strain Field to the basic projectile BP and with the use of an Event Tick apply the Physics Field… it works, but isn’t precise: no collision with the destructible buildings yet and framerate dependent…

I am now back to the basics of the new destruction system and especially the spread of destruction…
As anyone managed to control it? If so, could you share a bit of knowledge?

Thanks!

Hi, Can I have a question? How do I do attached a particle to the chunk? Should I use a BP ? Please let me know.

A simple solution would be to put the content examples on github with the source 4.23 P8. How about it Epic?

4.23 is probably near release at this point and it wouldn’t make sense for Epic to release the Chaos Content Example now when it’s going to be available when 4.23 is out

Once the Destructible Mesh is created is it an asset that resides in the browser and can be spawned into the game at run time or is it something that stays in a level like a landscape?

I’ve just downloaded 4.23.0 official release from the launcher. (Available now).

I have enabled all of the relevant plugins listed above, but I can’t create a “Geometry Collection”. It’s just not visible in the asset browser under physics.

Ideas?

Turns out that what I actually downloaded was 4.23.0 Preview 8. So that explains why it’s not working. It just didn’t say preview in the launcher dropdown.

Apparently, even with the release of 4.23, you still need to download the source from github and compile it in order to use Chaos. Hope I’m wrong.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to do scene queries against geometry collections in 4.23?
From what I see from source code, it’s implemented to query against a single geometry collection, but there is no implementation for doing this on scene wide.

For people wondering about why projectiles and geometry collections are not colliding:

• The projectile you’re using is simulated inside PhysX physics scene, and that means it can’t collide with objects simulated in Chaos physics scene. From what I see from SQ Accelerator implementations inside the source code, Epic probably have plans to unify each available physics scene on scene query calls. So that, we will be able to query against geometry collections & physx physics bodies at the same time. Sadly, SQ Accelerators are still heavily in progress, and also Chaos still don’t have high-level utilization of the low level scene query functions implemented in there.

• I think the projectile should be a geometry collection sphere, and you should make the weapon throw that sphere instead. So that, your projectile and geomety collections will collide.

• As another solution, it might be possible to attach a destruction field into PhysX simulated projectile, but I’m not sure about how to do that.

I did more tests with my projectile, and like you said having a simple Geometry collection sphere as the projectile works.
No need for a strain field as it is basically an object of a certain density send with an initial velocity!

Before everyone gets too excited about the official release of 4.23, just want to make sure everyone is aware that even now Chaos Destruction can still only be enabled by building from source.

FYI - The Chaos Destruction Demo is on the Learn Tab of the Launcher

I have updated the initial post with links to our new documentation pages, and instructions on how you can get up and running with the Chaos Destruction Demo. Have fun!

This is really confusing and disappointing.

This is for the best in fact. Chaos traverse several modules within the engine and if it is unstable it would compromise the whole engine. You can rest assured this is a measure to prevent such issues and having it to be build from source will only happen to affect realistic the ones wanting to try the feature. All I can say is: Thank God it is this way!

I don’t understand why the Chaos Plugins are still visible in the plugins list, still not functional (as they were before this official release). I believe many other users will be severely confused by this effect as well.

I’m on the official launcher version: