How to delete project? No more "delete" option by right-clicking project in launcher?

Before, if you right-clicked the project on the launcher library there was an option to delete the project. Now that option is gone, apparently.
So how is the proper way to delete a project? Should I just delete the project folder?

After the last launcher update I noticed the same thing. Some clarity around this would be great. Hopefully we can get the delete button back.

11 Likes

yeah is kinda nonsense they took it away from us… now we need to delete the folders? i dont know its weird

7 Likes

Yeh just noticed this myself, went to delete some test projects and delete button is gone completely. This is stupid. What was the point in removing it.

6 Likes

I found the same just now. Some clarity would be nice to help us out!

3 Likes

Yeah it sucks. But for now deleting the project folder does seem to work…

3 Likes

I think they have removed that option. It could be a page from Unity’s Lanucher. They’ve always had it so you had to delete the folder.

1 Like

Seems like the only way to do it is clik the “show in folder” and delete project there

1 Like

Same problem here. It’s good that I’m not the only one, with other problems I haven’t had the same luck. I guess I’ll have to delete the folder, it’s not a big deal. But it is strange.

1 Like

Agreed , just noticed this , odd to say the least.

2 Likes

Hey folks,

To shed some light on what happened here, the team discovered an issue where the delete option would sometimes result in more data being deleted than intended, with no ability to recover that data. To prevent this unfortunate scenario, the team removed this workflow.

The recommended flow is to navigate to the project folder, such as with the show in folder option, which specifically targets only the work you’d want to remove.

4 Likes

I did that, yet there’s a problem with that.

The Valley of The Ancients Sample that I installed took up something like 83 GB. The folder at the root of that project only contained 25 GB.

Now I have 58 GB of still on my Boot Drive that I have no idea where it installed because you guys couldn’t just fix it so it deleted the files that it should.

Thanks.

Edit: I found the rest. It’s in a folder called Vault Cache. For anybody else who has this problem, the path is C:\ProgramData\Epic\EpicGamesLauncher\VaultCache.

Note, the folder C:\ProgramData is normally hidden. Just so you know.

2 Likes

To delete a project, find the project folder in your computer and delete the folder. It makes sense that the option to delete within the launcher was removed. However, I still understand the frustration.

Hey maybe the team could also shed some light on this issue that has lasted since forever:
Epic Games Launcher incredibly slow

ue5.1 my project no delete this is why

When you have more than one project with the same name, deleting the project folder does not remove the project from the launcher. In that case, the project in the launcher will simply link to the other project after you delete the first one.

1 Like

For anyone struggling with this, here is your working solution:

• Make sure you first close your Epic Games Launcher (check the tray icons in case it’s still running in the background)!

• In order to physically delete the project from your Epic Games Launcher, navigate to your library, right-click the project you wish to delete, then click Show in folder and once you’re redirected to its root folder location, just Shift+Del the files yourself;

• If, however, you have multiple copies of your project and you’ve opened several of them, now the Launcher will show all of those duplicates for each opened location. In order to remove such unwanted entries of your project from the Library under the MY PROJECTS section, go to C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\UnrealEngine (replace YourUserName with the correct string) and now you will see a list of all the UE versions you have installed, including those you might have uninstalled in the meantime. It should look something like this (your version numbers will obviously vary):

What you need to do is go through each and every version folder (yes, all of them, as your project might have been opened with multiple UE versions along different engine upgrades, in which case you will see cached duplicates of the same addresses throughout multiple version folders), then go to either Saved\Config\Windows or Saved\Config\WindowsEditor (depending on the UE version)
and try to find a file called EditorSettings.ini.

Once there, open it with Notepad and search for your project name and delete all of the RecentlyOpenedProjectFiles=… lines which contain your project’s location (again, there might be more than one, depending on how many places your project was opened from).

Now save your file and re-open your Epic Games Launcher.
VoilĂ ! :smiley:

1 Like

For Unreal 5.3, follow @MisterPixel steps but in the EditorSettings.ini delete the lines with the CreatedProjectPaths= that point to your project folder.

Example:

bNotifyEnableS3DD=True
bEnableS3DDC=True
CreatedProjectPaths=C:\C_Unreal_Projects
CreatedProjectPaths=D:\Unreal_Projects
CreatedProjectPaths=D:\Unreal_Projects\MyTest
CreatedProjectPaths=D:\Unreal_Projects\MyFirstPersonTest
CreatedProjectPaths=D:\Unreal_Projects\UnrealEvents
CreatedProjectPaths=C:\Users\myuser\Documents\Unreal Projects

The project will disappear from the Epic Unreal Library and from the Unreal Project Browser

1 Like

Out of curiosity I’ve checked and for me the CreatedProjectPaths= lines were having some very old deprecated paths, nothing related to what I was trying to delete. But apparently for different users, the situation is quite different, so thanks a lot for the comment! I think our combined solutions should now be able to help most people!

1 Like