How to "cull" landscape textures over distance?

Greetings!

I’m not much of an artist nor have I played around with the materials/rendering stuff of the engine, I was wondering if there’s a node or something that reduces the quality of the material, kinda like how the culling works except for the landscape material. In Unity I used something on the terrain settings which let me adjust at what distance the textures would blur out, increasing the performance drastically. I bought a material pack from the marketplace and applied them on my landscape material, problem is the materials include heightmaps/tesselation, which get applied to the entire landscape and I don’t know how to tell the material to fade/cull the textures after a certain distance.

Any help would be appreciated :stuck_out_tongue:

Don´t know the material from market place. But if you tessellate the hole landscape, you get too many triangles.
In this case, use “distance based tessellation” in your material.

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Distance_Based_DX11_Tesselation_-_Video

Does this works for the normal and displacement map? I want to make the detail of the entire material low, my game will use Silent Hill’s trick of fog optimization :stuck_out_tongue:

Eh, you can lerp between a normal map and a 0,0,1 constant, or a texture and another texture based off of the pixel depth (which is pulled from the G-buffer), but I’m not sure if doing this will actually help performance because the extra instructions spent on the check takes time. I know you can implement LODs for static meshes and specify lighter materials for them, but I’m not aware of a way to do this in landscape without making the shader itself more heavy through the depth check+lerp. You’d probably have to do some fancy coding with the way textures mipmap in order to get the results you want.