How to create custom game user settings?

Let’s say i have a custom settings, like mouse sensitivity, which i want to be saved in GameUserSettings.ini. Is there any way to do so?

Hey @Kokapuk!

I’m not sure what you’re asking, can you be a little more specific? You don’t want to save the settings for the player? If you do want to do let the player change the settings you can save the settings in a different way, it doesn’t set the GUS.ini. The GUS.ini is the “Default” settings. You can also change those in a simple notepad.exe, but again I’m not sure that’s what you want.

I did find you a video explaining how you would save/load(on start of program) your settings for your typical game setup :slight_smile: I hope this helps!

Disclaimer: This video is not associated with Unreal Engine, Epic Games, or their partners.

I was looking through GameUserSettings.ini on all Unreal Engine powered games i have on my pc, and i found out that they are using some kind of custom game user settings class. For instance, Dead By Daylight, UE powered game, the game user settings file contains this string

[/Script/DeadByDaylight.DBDGameUserSettings]

and settings, that does not exist in default GameUserSettings:

KillerCameraSensitivity=50
SurvivorCameraSensitivity=50
KillerMouseSensitivity=5
SurvivorMouseSensitivity=10
KillerControllerSensitivity=5
SurvivorControllerSensitivity=10
AimAssist=True

Ah, yes it’s totally doable to add custom variables in the GUS.ini!

Here’s a somewhat in-depth walkthrough on doing that! It’s a lot simpler than you think! :slight_smile:

Disclaimer: this link is not affiliated with Unreal Engine, Epic Games, or their partners

1 Like

I apologize for bringing this up again, but I’d like to give my opinion, which might help you create custom settings for your game. You can use the Config class in Unreal Engine to write your settings to a .ini file.

It’s not actually a developer settings/config, but a custom GameUserSettings class override, see this video:

3 Likes

If you’re using c++. Maybe you can write your own class,Inherit from GameUserSettings.Then add your own Settings variables inside. Then we write a global static function to fetch your class because GetUserLocalSetting function only the default class can be retrieved. Finally, you can set or get your own custom variables.