How to create a thick rolling very low ground fog effect?

Hey everybody.

I want to make a “supernatural” type of very low lying ground fog for an outdoor scene in a project I’m working on. I’ve done a fair bit of searching and so far I haven’t been able to find a way to create the effect I’m looking for. The tutorials and assets I’ve found either involve full-on atmospheric fog, or a localized fog that is done with enough meshes as to be too expensive for my scenario as it’s designed for small room-sized areas and I’m working with an open outdoor area.

To give you an idea of that effect I’m trying to achieve take a quick look at this video.

If anyone knows how to create this effect or where I can find some sort of tutorial or documentation it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Have you looked at this post?
Depending on how your level is designed you will want to reduce the fog density with the world position Z, or try to use distance to nearest surface. Or both. You can use a single cube mesh, with a volume material applied to it, for an entire level.

Let me know if you want me to clarify something, or have more questions.

Sorry I haven’t updated this as to whether it’s the solution to what I need or not. I’ve been tied up with some other tasks trying to prep a vertical slice for a demo that doesn’t require the fog at this point.

Hopefully I’ll get to test this next week and I’ll let you know. Thanks BTW!