How to copy a UEFN project

I have an entire map/game. All I want to do is make a copy of it and rename it as something else so I go in a different direction and use my previous work as a base.

In an ideal would, I could simply copy the project folder and rename it. Obviously, that does not work.

Well, what does then??? :confused:

I tried making a new blank project, then manually copying all of the Assets into it. Then I opened the old project into UEFN, copied everything to clipboard, EVERYTHING (the ENTIRE map), then opened the new empty project and pasted everything into it.

That looked like it ALMOST worked. But the devil is in the details. It produced a metric ton of errors concerning outdated obscurely named references and paths that were not updated properly during the paste process .

So no go.

There has to be a way to simply copy or rename a project? Right???

Am I really going to have to redo EVERYTHING from scratch just to get back to the same place I am now???

2 Likes

I’ve done these steps to copy a project:

• Create a new blank project.
  • Then in the old project, right-click on the root Content folder in the Content Browser and select “Migrate”. Then select the new project’s Content folder as the destination.
  • Still in the old project, from the menu Select > Select All. Then copy everything in the level. (ctrl+c) Then open the new project. select the root Island (Editor) in the Outliner and paste (ctrl+v)
3 Likes

There are a couple of methods, do a search here on this forum as it comes up a lot.

It’s not straight forward yet, but they said they’re working on it.

OMG, I got it to work. Thanks for the help and suggestions guys.

For anyone else who wants to replicate what I came up with:

1. Backup your original project folder to some far away place, in case things go wrong

2. Copy your original project folder to a new one. (e.g. Copy “d:\Fortnite Projects\MyGame” to “d:\Fortnite Projects\MyGame2”).

3. Go in the new project folder, rename “MyGame.uefnproject” to “MyGame2.uefnproject”

4. Open “MyGame2.uefnproject” in Notepad (or another editor). At the top of the file, change “title” from “MyGame” to “MyGame2”. Scroll down to the bottom. Remove the contents of “bindings”. Like this:

"bindings:"
{
}

Don’t change anything else. Save the file.

1. Delete the “.urc” folder.

2. Open UEFN and “Browse…” to the “MyGame2” project and open it.

That’s it. I tested my non-trivial project and everything appears good. Stuff such as triggers and assets and such were all hooked up and worked properly. I edited some objects and launched a session and didn’t notice any problems. I went back to my original project, to make sure nothing was cross linked, and everything appeared cool there too.

ONE CAVEAT. Lots of stuff will still have the old “MyGame” NAME in the new project references and such, because the plugins folder et al was not messed with, but IMO that works for me … I’ll live with it. Small price to pay.

Also, don’t do any of this unless you know what you are getting yourself into.

I hope Epic will be so kind as to make some features available to duplicate, rename, and delete projects soon.

19 Likes

dude this is an actual godsend. Thank you so much

2 Likes

thanks… saved my project

1 Like

Here’s a great video explaining how to duplicate a UEFN project.

4 Likes

:pray: Life saver

1 Like

Im trying to do this, can you give more detail

can you help me with this please

This is genius! This works better then migrating just for the fact that Verse devices stay intact. This would also be a very very handy way to “Sell” someone a project template as you can package / compress it like this and leave the bindings empty. Then when you want to you can send someone the project packaged like this vs having to do a ownership transfer and it would allow you to then easily sell it again. I played around with changing some of the naming in the other files, but each .uasset has the path names saved internally and it doesn’t look straight forward to edit them as they appear to be byte data you’d have to pack / unpack it. Like you said though, small price to pay, heck no price even if your intention is to purely make a map distributable.

1 Like

this worked like a charm. My island is 100% copied!!! Just hit play and play it

can anyone confirm that this does not work after the 5.4.0-33291686+++Fortnite+Release-29.40 update?

Edit: the duplication still work perfectly. i accidentally overwrite the name in the plugin that caused project to corrupt.

2 Likes