How to break a destructible mesh with a sword in UE5

Hello, I am trying to create a system where we can break objects with a melee weapon in the style of God of War, Spyro, etc. I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to get the hits to actually apply damage and break the object. I found a post on how to achieve this in UE4 with the deprecated Apex destruction system here:

Does anyone know of a tutorial source and/or method of achieving this with UE5 Chaos destruction? Is there a better way to accomplish this without using Chaos? I imagine some of the older games used some kind of particle system rather than breakable meshes, but it’s the effect I want to achieve.

Here are links to some examples:

Hey @Ubi_Bubi1!

Which do you mean by “It’s the effect I want to achieve?” I’m assuming you mean chaos destruction. In these examples the closest thing would be the Spyro example. The Zelda one is pure visual effects, and the GoW one is about halfway between.

I found that this was a good introduction to the Chaos destructible mesh system- you can get something pretty achievable with your own meshes with very few changes! :slight_smile:

@Mind-Brain I’m not opposed to an FX based solution at all! But using Chaos would be preferred. I’ve watched the video series you linked, and it is really helpful, but the struggle comes when introducing a melee weapon into the mix. I can get it working with projectiles, but not with a melee weapon.

My solution at the moment is setting the Collision profile to Ignore Only Pawn, and then on overlap setting the collision profile to Block All Dynamic. It sort of works but is very buggy and inconsistent. Just hoping for a more solid solution I guess

If you can send some video that would be preferred- I think I have an idea of why. Your collision may be too fast and small on the sword.

If you’re looking for something just fun and smashy, you could try doing an “OnHit” and have a radial impulse in the bottom of the pot go off like a bomb to throw the pieces outwards.