How to add a score limit/quota to each level?

I have a game where a player will progress when they reach a certain score. For example, when the player reaches a quota of 100, they will progress to level 2. In level 2, when they reach a quota of 300, they will progress to level 3.

This is what I had initially in the First Person Character BP. It only works for one certain score for all levels. However, I want to change the score limit for each level.

This is what I started doing. However, it didn’t work.

First Person Character BP

Level BP

Score Widget

Hey @RetroMonroe!

This is a great use for the GameMode!

You should put your score etc into the game mode, and have all of the functionality there. To change it per level, have a variable on the game mode that would match one on the level blueprint, and on begin play of the level do "GetGameMode → cast to (nameofgamemode) → set max/point quota.

You actually want to put as little functionality on the player as possible, only pertinent things. The game experience, the rules of the game are for gameMode, and anything to do with the environment should be Level Blueprint! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! I tried replicating what you said below. I think something went wrong, but I’m not receiving any compile errors.

First Person Game Mode BP

Level BP

Widget BP

Close! You should just need to take that event “Set Quota” off of the level blueprint and put it on the GameMode. You can make it a function instead of an event, and give it an input of Integer, and then on the level blueprint send that through the called event/function. :slight_smile:

Hey @RetroMonroe! Just checking in with you!

Did you find the solution, or did any of these work for you? Let us know for future answer seekers! :slight_smile:

Hello! Does this look more correct?

GameModeBP -

Level BP -

Hey @RetroMonroe! Almost there!

Your “SetQuota” is not setting anything, it’s checking Score vs Quota. May want to rename that “CheckQuota”.

Then I’m seeing in your LevelBlueprint that you are running this on begin play, when score should be 0 and nowhere else. Let’s move that to the event where the score changes so it checks every time score changes!

You are setting the quota using the LBP just like you should, so leave that there!

That should be all you need! :slight_smile:

It worked! Thank you so much.

1 Like