How is Unreal better than Unity?

State Good and Logical points… I want to decide which one to go for.

Unreal is no better than Unity, and Unity is no better than Unreal. Agree with everything franktech said. Truth is, if you’re asking this question, Unity might already be better choice for you. :wink:

UE4 is free ?

Sorry this is the only distinct thing I can come up with. Agree with what is told up there.

What made me use Unreal was this:

Blueprint! (Can’t live without it.)
License! (I get everything for free! only pay 5% per quarter! If I make over 3,000!)

That’s what made me come over. But there are some cons:

High system requirments.

That’s it really. (For me anyway.) Good luck man.

It depends on the situation

UE4 has a lot of features that Unity lacks, Unity by itself is almost unusable, but there’s lots of great things in the asset store to add the features you need to Unity. In some of the projects I’ve done, there’s a specific feature I need that is available in the Unity asset store that UE4 doesn’t have–like Windows multi-touch support. Stuff like that will improve over time as the UE4 marketplace grows.
Unity is great for developing for low-end systems, it starts out with very little graphical features so it’s easy to add what graphical features you want. Unreal starts out with a lot of graphical features which can be complicated to figure out what to disable or adjust to get things running well for low-end systems.
The nice graphical features all work well in UE4 though, the material system is especially great and the lighting system is easier to work with. I’ve actually avoided using Unity 5 because the new lighting system is worse than it was before.

I decided to go with Unity because I have an old low-end pc.

Thanks for your answers guys. Greatly appreciated. I asked the same question (How is Unity better than Unreal) on the Unity forums and guess what? The answers were vague and the thread was locked. I really appreciate the clear answers here. Thanks. <3 <3 :smiley:

No worries mate.

Good luck and Godspeed ! :smiley:

That is a really good reply.

Wish you luck!

Thanks. :slight_smile:

UE4 has more working features*

So the crashes that occur in UE4 is indicative of “non-broken” software … interesting.

UE4 is broken, but so is Unity and Torque 3D and Windows and Linux, they all have bugs and minor issues. That is okay because complex software will always have bugs and minor/major issues because of the nature of the beast but this does not mean that they are “non-broken” software.

p.s. I used “non-broken” as a point, no flaming me. 8-p

I think this sums it up nicely … has put it very eloquently … use the right tool for the right job … 8-}

Yes, did a great job of explaining that!

By the way as far as mobile development is concerned–with Unity you have to use a Mac to develop for iOS, there’s no way to run tests on your iOS hardware without a Mac. With Unreal you can test on your device using Windows and you only need a Mac once your app is ready to be submitted to the Apple App store.

Actually you can buy something in Unity assetstore which allow you to develop and test unity iOS game on windows. That’s how I did my last iOS game with Unity. When it come to mobile, Unity is clear winner. I really wish Epic could put a little bit more effort on mobile and low-end PC. But judging from 4.9 commits, mobile still not the their focus.

That’s interesting, I didn’t know that

I found unity nauseating. Sorta like i find blender repulsive compared to maya or max when it comes to the UI.
The UI sold me on UE4. Well and blueprints.

But a clean understandable UI to me is very important. But this does not make it better. Some people prefer the Unity UI.
Its just personal preference.

Unity is definitely a better option in terms of mobile development.

Unity’s UI I think is fairly easy to use for the most part, but that’s mostly due to the lack of features