Download

How is Unreal better than Unity?

State Good and Logical points… I want to decide which one to go for.

• They are both great tools, they each have pros and cons. It depends on which tool is better for the job you have in mind… Overall, a lot comes down to personal preference, the hardware you have access to, and your time-frame for making a game. Unity-5 will run on surprisingly low hardware, there’s lots of content available on the Asset Store, componentized C# has the ease of use of a macro language, getting started at building a prototype is arguably easier as there’s less to learn initially.

• But if your goal is to make great looking games and stick at game development long term, then UE4 is the clear winner IMHO. Its got Visual scripting (Blueprints), C++, access to source, higher quality visuals, and built-in editors for everything from landscapes to particles to materials to animation to creating cinematics etc. Unity is largely free but its not completely free. There’s a table on the download page showing the subtle differences, and it has fine print in the license that bares closer examination about an expiry date two years from now.

• To sum up, if you want to make a mobile or low-end game and be in and out and done in 1-6 months, Unity is an obvious choice. But if you want to make just about any other type of game and want great visuals then UE4 is the way to go. Unity has a lot of flexibility for other gametypes also, but you normally have to purchase 3rd party plug-ins to get the equivalent of what UE4 offers for free today. That said, UE4 is very much evolving and there are bugs and stability issues to iron out. Plus as said, the core graphics requirement is higher even for mobile, so you need to be cognizant of the class of hardware potential customers have. Others will mention the unreal community as a key advantage. But remember while there’s lots of help on here, you still have to do the core work yourself, nobody will make the game for you.

Unreal is no better than Unity, and Unity is no better than Unreal. Agree with everything franktech said. Truth is, if you’re asking this question, Unity might already be better choice for you. :wink:

UE4 is free ?

Sorry this is the only distinct thing I can come up with. Agree with what is told up there.

What made me use Unreal was this:

Blueprint! (Can’t live without it.)
License! (I get everything for free! Then only pay 5% per quarter! If I make over 3,000!)

That’s what made me come over. But there are some cons:

High system requirments.

That’s it really. (For me anyway.) Good luck man.

It depends on the situation

UE4 has a lot of features that Unity lacks, Unity by itself is almost unusable, but there’s lots of great things in the asset store to add the features you need to Unity. In some of the projects I’ve done, there’s a specific feature I need that is available in the Unity asset store that UE4 doesn’t have–like Windows multi-touch support. Stuff like that will improve over time as the UE4 marketplace grows.
Unity is great for developing for low-end systems, it starts out with very little graphical features so it’s easy to add what graphical features you want. Unreal starts out with a lot of graphical features which can be complicated to figure out what to disable or adjust to get things running well for low-end systems.
The nice graphical features all work well in UE4 though, the material system is especially great and the lighting system is easier to work with. I’ve actually avoided using Unity 5 because the new lighting system is worse than it was before.

I decided to go with Unity because I have an old low-end pc.

Thanks for your answers guys. Greatly appreciated. I asked the same question (How is Unity better than Unreal) on the Unity forums and guess what? The answers were vague and the thread was locked. I really appreciate the clear answers here. Thanks. <3 <3 :smiley:

No worries mate.

Good luck and Godspeed ! :smiley:

That is a really good reply.

Wish you luck!

Thanks. :slight_smile:

UE4 has more working features*

So the crashes that occur in UE4 is indicative of “non-broken” software … interesting.

UE4 is broken, but so is Unity and Torque 3D and Windows and Linux, they all have bugs and minor issues. That is okay because complex software will always have bugs and minor/major issues because of the nature of the beast but this does not mean that they are “non-broken” software.

p.s. I used “non-broken” as a point, no flaming me. 8-p

A better question; how do these threads keep popping up? I am going to put in my answer after extensive use of both:

Unity vs. Unreal:

Power vs. Usability –
Unity is a light-weight, plugin based system. You are not going to have allot of overhead when using Unity, or with the games you package with it. This does mean you are going to need to buy allot of the awesome features that come pre-packaged with Unreal (like visual scripting). This is OK, and is definitely one of Unity’s advantages if that’s the thing you are going for.

Unreal is a heavy hitter. Unreal comes with tons of features, a rhobust physics system, blueprints, and tons of other goodies for creating just about anything you want. So long as that anything is a heavy duty 3D game with lots of pretty visuals. Otherwise.

2D –
Unity is king here. Unreal (as of 4.8) is missing allot of features that are necessary for complicated 2D games. There are no anim events, anim graphs, or even a way to get accurate frame positions with 2D. Unreal however has cornered ease of use for complicated 3D. The animation layout is wonderful and you will be quickly working through your game once you learn the workflow…

Workflow –
Unity doesn’t care how you get things done. There really is no prescribed method of approach. Their documentation reflects this. This is both a very strong point, and a weak point. Unreal has a prescribed (almost forced) workflow. With Unreal, it’s the Unreal way, or re-code the source yourself to get it to work. The source gives you allot of power…

Source –
Unreal gives it to you, Unity does not.

Documentation –
Unity has a vast documentation, and it seems you can find an example of ANYTHING if you search hard enough. This is pretty empowering when prototyping. Unreal’s documentation is lacking, but this point might be lost as Epic stabilizes their features.

Ethic –
Unreal wants 5% after $3000 per quarter, Unity wants your money up-front. This says to me that Unreal succeeds when you do, and that they have a vested interest in supporting you.

Mobile –
As of 4.8, Unreal is just not suitable for mobile, the builds are to big and the engine is to bulky. I believe this will get allot better as time goes on.

Prototyping –
You can blast through prototyping with either Unreal or Unity, but Unity has the upper hand in ONE respect. Generally, if something works in the test window with Unity, it will ACTUALLY ACT THAT WAY IN THE COMPILED GAME. If you are doing anything outside the box at all with physics or pawn assignment, PIE(In editor test window.), AMI, and the Cooked Version will all behave differently. Again, this is in 4.8, and I hope it gets better.

Bottom Line –
I believe Unreal is for teams with a budget and knowledgeable programmers. It is a fantastic tool to work with, and I believe Epic is constantly setting the industry standard, however, for a small team to one-man-army that needs something that will JUST WORK, in most cases Unity seems better. Unreal and Unity are TWO SEPARATE TOOLS, they have separate purposes and uses. Don’t ask, “Which is better?” ask, “What am I trying to do?” and then see if one or the other suits that purpose.

I think this sums it up nicely … The Britain has put it very eloquently … use the right tool for the right job … 8-}

Yes, The Britain did a great job of explaining that!

By the way as far as mobile development is concerned–with Unity you have to use a Mac to develop for iOS, there’s no way to run tests on your iOS hardware without a Mac. With Unreal you can test on your device using Windows and you only need a Mac once your app is ready to be submitted to the Apple App store.

Actually you can buy something in Unity assetstore which allow you to develop and test unity iOS game on windows. That’s how I did my last iOS game with Unity. When it come to mobile, Unity is clear winner. I really wish Epic could put a little bit more effort on mobile and low-end PC. But judging from 4.9 commits, mobile still not the their focus.

I thought I remembered something like that. Also, I think Unreal should back off on advertising mobile. Unreal is a massive tool made for massive games. I would rather see them do what they do best, than constantly trying to do something the engine wasn’t meant for.