How is Unreal better than Unity?

When you compare a few crashes to half of the engines core features being straight up broken - yes, UE4 is not broken.

I’d say for any size (one man to AAA) doing 3D games (PC / Console) I’d go with Unreal every time. Unity is very simplistic for basics, all of a sudden you find yourself going deep and spending a lot of time re-creating what Unreal has. That’s dependant on said user having enough experience to do that in the first place, all the little tools and addons really do amount to a lot…

In essence it can become a lot more hardcore than Unreal quickly, especially with the BP system in which you can create the logic (test) convert any bottlenecks to C++ later. Art tools are far superior and don’t require 3rd party involvement.

Or you could find yourself digging deep into your pockets for the asset store to fill the gaps, but even a lot of software has support dropped (EOS) or the product has issues of it’s own. There’s much more too it when considering like the Enlighten integration, commercial viability vs. time etc.

But that’s a very lengthy discussion. (P.S I do agree with what you’re saying in most cases).

These posts are interesting. :wink:

C# is a BIG plus for any beginner. It has the simplicity of a good scripting language but enough features to effectively take it to the next level when that extra bit of complexity is needed. Blueprints can’t really touch this as there kind of usless when things get above quite a simple layer your forced to move into C++ instead, which to me feels antiquated, syntax wise.

Where Unreal shines is the renderer, if you want true AAA titles, there is no alternative to the visual fidelity that UE provides.

Simple, full source C++ that preserves UE4 forever no mater what happens.

Cosmos A SpaceTime Odyssey: The more science belongs to all of us, the less likely it is be misused.

That’s very interesting, any specific reasons why? Development time for my team has been about the same as it was in Unity (RPG), but I’ve found UE4 far less consistent and gets it’s undies in a twist constantly.

Out of the box networking for multiplayer with UE4 that works really well, whereas Unitys built in networking is very hard to setup and not good at all. You would have to implement something like Photon in Unity for mp and that is beyond a nightmare and would take many moons to learn and adapt your project around!

That one is true too and somehow I think it fits discussions about UE/other engine. If you want to recreate all that UE4 provides you have to go through great lengths.

Carl Sagan is one of my all time heroes. We need oh so much more people like him. The world would be an easier place.

Hmm, good read and I agree completely… We are doing completely different games, but face some similar challenges.

One thing Unity is good at, bar Mecanim (which didn’t work as expected)… It’s very logical and does what it says on the tin with minimal effort, the particle system or legacy animation system is really simple to code and use, animation.crossfade(“”) etc.

It also compiles materials and code instantly, I love that about it… You get things done sooooo much quicker.

Somebody actually told you to re-code PhysX? I hope that wasn’t an Unreal Dev, even in custom engine development we’d just complain at Nvidia until something got done about it.

1. Not gotten around to the PS4 port yet, looking forward to that.!! (not really)

On 6. We developed a front end (which I did ask Epic for) to automatically edit .INI files (kinda like a Bethesda game), but Unity comes with an in-built game launcher with res and scalability settings.

I’ve found cooked builds can vary in look compared to the editor version, which can be annoying to say the least.

On 15. I agree again, I don’t get why the Pawn system needs to be there at all.

There should be a premium user subscription in which you get access to UDN or something, so if you’re developing for commercial release and hit the wall (the API is too big for anything less than large studio’s at this point) you can it sorted and carry on.

Like the Unity premium support package, free comes at a cost and it’s not always one you’d like to put up with.

Recompiling code/materials isn’t instant, if you have very few scripts it’s pretty fast, but it can slow down quite a bit in a fully built project. What I like about Unreal is that I don’t have to manage shaders and materials, there’s just materials and each one can be unique

For us it was, so I’m not sure why you were having issues and our game was pretty **** big?? I agree that I’d prefer a material editor, it’s a much nicer workflow… Although shader forge is pretty good…

On my smallest project it takes a couple of seconds, on my largest project it takes maybe 10 seconds, though it’s still not that large. Though when I tried out uScript it was godawful, like 5 minutes to save and recompile.

Idk I’ve been learning a lot from tom loomans survival series and other multiplayer projects on the market.
UE4 networking is like driving around a forest in the daytime with a squad of marines on atv’s using signs and roads that lead to civilization where-as photon & other unity networking solutions are like crawling in the desert during night time alone. And as far as UNET I only see a few basic 2d examples and not really anything to get started for a 3d project like UE…

There is a new high level networking components coming with Unity 5.2

Yeah but will there be projects that show you how do use it? I mean for character animations and gameplay and physics and AI? Not just extremely basic 2d stuff?
So far still the only example project for networking a 3d game in Unity is a box that moves…

This intrigues me and I must know more
Can you explain why exactly a smart 4 frame network rewind / GGPO is better than unreals built in networking?
What features / benefits would it give me? And to what extent do you consider breaking out of the unreal workflow? Thanks!

Really interesting, the way hes describing it seems like the future and we are using primitive tech!
Well, what about shooters though? Hes talking more about fighting games, but would we benefit as well? Is rewinding / ggpo basically the future and next step in networking pretty much any type of gameplay?

I’ve personally broken away from Unity because the built in networking & example projects I have with UE4 is keeping me from being lost. Im more of a 3d artist, so I’m not sure if I could setup GGPO in a Unity project that has all the features my one in UE4 already does. Would we have to just wait like 1 or 2 years for someone to put together an example game on the asset store for unity?

Does anyone have any opinion about UE4 v. Unity for mobile development?

<laughs> You so nailed my thought… down to comparing Blender to Maya (I’ve got Maya now instead of Blender)… I simply hate the interface… Which of course is about as subjective as one can get.

teak

These posts are almost 2 years old.