How do you make a scene capture 2d orthographic

How do you make a scene capture 2d orthographic?

Hey mdagreda,

You can change Projection Mode of any camera in your game. By default, cameras are in Perspective, but you can change it to Orthographic in Camera Settings section of Details panel. Your main camera is likely attached to your character, so you may need to open that up to make adjustment you’re looking for.

Hope that helps!

“projection mode” property found in Cameras is not present in SceneCapture actors/components, at least in 4.1.

Hey ,

You are correct, SceneCapture components do not currently have that capability. I have entered a feature request into our database for developers to look at. Thanks for your feedback! Would you mind describing scenario you have in mind for this feature, so developers can get a better idea what you’re looking for? Thanks!

I would also like to use orthographic view capability with SceneCapture2d components. It would be helpful in creating interactable screens for puzzles or simple electronic devices that characters might use, e.g. mobile phone screens in GTA V. same render texture is used both for HUD widget and in-game phone screen. I can achieve same result by carefully adjusting lighting and projection angles etc., but it takes time and feels at odds with general ease of use UE4 offers.

Cheers in advance!

Any update on situation of SceneCapture2D thus far?

Hey Haswell,

request is still being looked into as a possibility. I have updated request (TTP# 335308) to indicate that there is still interest in feature.

Is there any further update toward this situation. I’m interested in making a mini map through render targets, for a paper 2d game, which looks weird within perspective view.

Hi greenday21,

There has not been any movement on this feature request yet, but it is still in our backlog. I will update this post if there is any update.

Just adding another vote to this being a useful feature :slight_smile:

Me too, I would like to render a minimap with an orthographic SceneCapture2D. Please add this soon.

I too would love to see this feature. It would be very useful for map/minimap creation on dynamically created levels. Is there any other way to capture(a single frame is sufficient for a static maps) to a render target other then with a SceneCapture2D?

I think this feature would be really useful. I hope you can add this soon.

I’ve been using a scene capture component with field of view of 1 degrees, placed ~1 Km from surface I want to capture. Works but setting it up is a pain.

Such far away actors won’t draw.

I also would like to have this feature.

I want this, too

Hey, I just wanted to check in and see timeline on this feature and if it will make it for 4.8? It seems like many users have been about this over past year and it’s definitely a much needed feature. On one of games I am working on, I actually need something like this today specifically for a minimap. Fingers crossed but any hope for this soon?

Hey , over one year ago you entered this as a feature request, is there any update on this? Or could you describe why it’s hard to implement?

any news on this?

I’m also needing this feature.

I need a topdown capture of my terrain (supporting capturing scene depth), and using a far away camera with low FOV either causes useless scene depth, or has enough perspective to make it not top down enough