How do I run an Unreal Application on a web server, and communicate with it using a web app?

Long story short,

I have a small video rendering application made with UE4 movie render queue. The requirement is to deploy it on a web server and using a user web app, I have to send specific data to the unreal application, so it can adjusted camera positions, post processing effects based on data received. and finally render the output video and send back to user web app.

Is this sort of task visible? or is there any better way of doing this? if so, is there any tools in unreal which helps to make this process much easier? I don’t have much experience in web communication stuff.

if someone have suggestions or ideas about this, please let me know. Thank you :slight_smile:

The other alternative would be to develop the desktop app with Electron and use blob to send the video data(i seen a tuto from web dev simplified working on an OBS app) so should be feasible, now the issue is for the camera position and post effect which seem to be more work on just using javascript and am not sure if Electron do have these features.

If you still wanna use ue4, you can use VaRest plugin that can communicate btw client-server using json so that you can transfer text setting such as cam position but for sending plain video data is the big issue, you will have to research on something like raw blob data using c++ and then from your web app accept/read that data.

Or just a mixture of both, with the ue4 app, when you receive all the video setting and then save the video called A. You can then run a desktop electron app that would play that video file A and stream the video to a user IP.

1 Like

@Arodi007 thank you for the suggestion. Yes I need to use UE4, but you have given me some good ides about how to approach this problem. again, thank you so much for your input! very valuable!

1 Like

About Django Course.
It used to be discovered by means of some humans that net builders face comparable issues whilst constructing a site. So they created frameworks like Django that provide us ready-made aspects to use. A framework is simply a series of extra than one module that makes improvement easier. They are grouped and used to create purposes or web sites from an present source, as a substitute of from scratch.
Django elements a large series of modules that we will use in our projects. Frameworks exist to retailer plenty of builders lots of wasted time and complications and Django serves an equal purpose. You would per chance even be curious about getting to know Django, it had been created with front-end builders in mind. “Django is supposed to experience cozy and easy-to-learn for these who prefer to work with HTML, like designers and front-end developers. But Django is moreover bendy and notably extensible, permitting builders to make stronger the template language as required.

so how this is relevant to the question?

Check out the latest Unreal video discussing the development of 4.27
4.27 will support containers, such as docker, on cloud systems.
It will also have support for more server-side usage.

1 Like

thanks @scottunreal I haven’t watched it yet :slight_smile: but now i’m going to! I just started my project with UE4’s remote control system seems like i can combine it with new features from UE 4.27