How do I rotate a material inside a particle system?

I’ve got the following material which I’ve used to create the effect of a Rocket Engine:

I’m using it in a particle system so I can make it flicker and change size slightly over its lifetime. I’ve oriented the particle in the same direction as the smoke I’ve added, and its velocity is zero so that it stays attached to the rocket engine.

Adding this particle system to my missile/rocket blueprint though, I can’t rotate the direction of the material.

The flame always points in the same direction, regardless of where the emitter is pointing. How can I make it so that the material is oriented relative to the emitter?

Hi Acidictadpole -

Your problem is that your initial velocity is setting the particles’ movement along the Z axis. Change the initial velocity to be along the X or Y axis and it should run in the direction you are looking.

Let me know if you need more help

Eric Ketchum

The initial velocity in the particle system is all zero’d out, I can even delete the initial velocity module and still have the issue.

I also noticed that when I rotate around the particle it doesn’t rotate with the camera. I wonder if a particle is the wrong idea for the thrust.

Hi Acidictadpole -

Okay. Set your Initial Rotation to a Constant Module and then set the 0.5 (or -0.5, depending on your direction) and you should be good to go.

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

It’s currently set to a constant and 0.75 (as that was up/down in the editor). But rotating it in the blueprint editor for my missile still doesn’t rotate the flame at all.

Hi Acidictadpole -

In the required module check the “Use Local Space” check box. This will allow you to rotate the particle system in the Blueprint. If this is not checked the particle system will always update in world space which will not allow you to rotate it in the blueprint. You will also want to Lock Axis, under Orientation in the module selection to Rotate Y (could also be Rotate X or Rotate Z, depending on you exact set up).

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

In the particle that I am using for the thrust (not the smoke), I’ve set ‘Local space’ in the “Required” section. After save and returning to the blueprint it’s in, I still do not see the thrust particle being affected by rotation. I do not see a ‘use local space’ in any other spot that seems relevant.

It looks like this now:

Hi Acidictadpole -

Here is all my information which will allow you to use the Material, Particle System and Blueprint setup above and have your Rocket Thrust be rotatable in the blueprint so it will align always with your Mesh Rocket.

Particle System Setup:

Blueprint Setup:

Here is the Final Result, showing rotation:

I hope this clears up the confusion -

Eric Ketchum

That Lock Axis module was the key. Thanks!

Lock the orientation to X, Y and Z in the particle. I had the same problem and that seemed to work for what i was doing