How do I import an fbx file with all the parts NOT disassembled?

Hi I imported a fbx file of a washer and it came in disassembled. Is there a function that I’m not selecting when I’m importing the file or a solution to this? I just want to import the washer with all the parts attached normally. Please advise.

The problem is not in the Unreal side. It is in the 3D program where you exported the FBX.

An FBX file can contain multiple objects and if so, when you import to UNREAL, you will get all the independent objects one by one. If you want a single object you must export the FBX from your 3d software with everything attached as a single mesh. If FBX is not yours, then you must open it in a 3D software and merge everything and export again.

If you cant handle I can help you. Just PM me the FBX file (Wetransfer or some link) and I can merge for you and send again :slight_smile:
Good luck!

Dany

1 Like

Oh I see. Yeah, I don’t have a way to merge it on my system. Thank you so much for helping me. One question, with the merge file you’ll be providing, would I still be able to animate the inside parts? Mainly the tumbler rotating to show the mechanics?

Here is the wetransfer link!

No…you must have the parts you want to animate as separated meshes…you move static meshes as a whole…maybe you want to merge groups of objects in the fbx file in smaller groups.

your file has 96 parts

I merged into 3 parts:

Main Body
Dryers drum
Washer Drum

All 3 parts are located at 0,0,0 position in space so if you make an actor and add all 3 meshes they will match in position.

then you must add some scene components to animate the drums.

the transforms for the dryers drum scene component are like this:

The washers drum is tilted 10 degrees so the scene component for it is like this:

in my test I added a couple lights inside the drums

your FBX file misses some parts (the doors, the back of the dryers drum, etc)

also there are a lot of little parts that are unrelevant and make the model a bit heavy.
So the model can be cleaned up a lot…(50%+)

here is the fixed FBX WT link:

https://we.tl/t-sqcfYoKAAs

Good Luck!!
Dany

1 Like

Yeah basically if I can get a separate mesh of the tumbler, that would be super amazing.

Wow I just noticed your animation and wetransfer file. Thank you so much. Just out of curiosity, are you a freelance or do you work full time?

1 Like

Glad to Help!

I am working full time (own projects) and learning/helping when I can

1 Like