How do I get FirstPersonController reference in GameMode asset for Multiplayer game?

Hello. Need some help here in regards to casting a controller for a Multiplayer game…

So using the FirstPersonShooter template provided by UE, I made some changes and want it to be multiplayer. Now controls and player spawning work fine, however, when the player spawns in, it is not being casted the controller, and I’ve already used the Get Controller, Get Controlled Pawn, and Get Local Viewing Player Controller nodes and none of them work. The only one that does work is the Get Player Controller node with an index of 0 which gives Client 1 control, and with an index of 1, it gives client 2 control. I understand for Multiplayer, you don’t want to use Get Player Controller as indexes are meant for local only, but my goal is to avoid this and to simply cast the correct controller for the respawned player.

Screenshots of Blueprints:

Errors when trying to use Get Controller/Get Controlled Pawn nodes:

Blueprint Runtime Error: “Accessed None trying to read property K2Node_CustomEvent_FirstPersonController_Reference”. Node: Cast To PlayerController Graph: EventGraph Function: Execute Ubergraph BP First Person Game Mode Blueprint: BP_FirstPersonGameMode

Blueprint Runtime Error: “Accessed None trying to read property CallFunc_K2_GetPawn_ReturnValue”. Node: Cast To PlayerController Graph: EventGraph Function: Execute Ubergraph BP First Person Game Mode Blueprint: BP_FirstPersonGameMode

I could really use assistance with this as I’ve been stuck on this for hours…

Thanks

Event Destroyed you are calling the GM Event “Respawn Player” which has a pin for your casted controller.

So Get Controller → Cast to BP_FirstPersonPlayerController and pass the result to that pin.

Then in the GM for that event pipe the value passed to Possess.