How do I get distance field shadows to work with the foliage tool?

Greatly appreciate the solution.

As an alternate work-around I was able to circumvent this problem by creating a blueprint with a static mesh component with IDFS enabled, then using that as the actor class for an actor foliage asset. I assume this is less efficient to render though, so I’m glad to have a different option.

1 Like

Ah, very creative. Yes, having an actor-based foliage will be more overhead. It may be completely tolerable though, depending on your specific needs. Enjoy!

I used your idea and it really does work, both for Distance field shadows and ray tracing, the scene looked broken before.
It does have a cost though, Im only using for trees, for lower plants Im using a shader that uses the distance field geometry to inject AO in the object, kind of obscure technique that was mentioned in a video, but it works.

Here is it working.

I also have the shader AO working on the trees for extra detail as my sun is set to moveable and my sky to stationary.

You can see the darker areas inside the trees, this is a combination of DF indirect shadow and the AO applied to the shader.

and here is what the shader looks like, just plug that to the AO.

Hello, I am noob in UE especially talking about C++ and BP’s. Can you please help me with this? I mean what should I do step by step? How to invoke it?

where should I write this BP? Connect it to folliage material?