How do I get a debug message to show on only one screen in a multiplayer game?

I am making a multiplayer game running off a dedicated server and everytime I use: “GEngine->AddOnScreenDebugMessage(-1, 300.f, FColor::Blue, TEXT(“Message”));”, it shows up on every player’s screen on the server. How can I get it to only show up on one Player screen?

For example, I would like to have each player to get a debug message saying which team they are on and only that screen can see it.

Also I’m only using 4.4.3

Thanks

#IsLocallyControlled()

If you do this in your character class:

if(IsLocallyControlled())
{
   //print your debug message
}

It will only show on the local owning player of the character in which you call this function

:slight_smile:

Rama

This didn’t work for me. All the messages showed up on all of the players still. I did use this right:
if (IsLocallyControlled()){
GEngine->AddOnScreenDebugMessage(-1, 300.f, FColor::Blue, TEXT(“Blue”));
}

The engine itself doesn’t have an option for local or owner based debug messages; looking through the API there is a variable called: “bEnableOnScreenDebugMessagesDisplay” which may help.

What I would do is create a HUD element specifically for your own debug messages, then send them to whichever player you want, with whatever font you want. It may be a little less simple than that though as I haven’t touched HUD yet.

1 Like